Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

23v starting issue

Hey all,

I have had a recent problem develop on my '02 23v. When attempting to start the engine, I get nothing but a single click when holding the key in the start position. When turning the key to the on position, the fuel pump and all other electronics come up properly. However, when moving the key to the start position, I get the single click. The engine will start once about every 10-15 tries. I've recently replaced the ignition switch thinking that the problem might have been a bad switch. I pulled the starter, and I took it to a local shop to have it tested. Everything checked out fine with the starter. I also replaced a couple of the relays in the ignition system. The battery shows full voltage and appears to be at full cranking amp capacity (its only a year old; also tried another battery - issue did not go away). Any other items to look at? Is there a fuse somewhere that I might be overlooking?

Thanks,

Joe

Whats actually clicking?
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Another example of why a voltmeter should come stock with every boat. I'd measure across the starter terminals to see if you're getting DC voltage. I bet you're not or you'd hear the starter trying to do something. Then work backwards in the circuit until you find where the connection is lost. My first bet is the starter solenoid, but it could be a number of things.

If you don't have a voltmeter/multimeter, Harbor Freight has them for under ten bucks. Well worth the investment, you'll use it again and again and not just on your boat.

Comment

The click noise sounds as if it is coming from the solenoid. I was working on the boat by myself this weekend, so it was a little difficult to diagnose. Volt meter measures 12.5 volts at the battery and 12.5 volts at the terminals on the starter solenoid. Guessing that the solenoid is starting to go bad.

Comment

Thats a good start if the solenoid is whats clicking. If you have battery voltage on main starter post and battery voltage on the purple solenoid terminal when the key is in crank, then you are more than likely looking at a solenoid/starter gone bad.
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

That's my next step when I get an extra set of hands! I should be able to work on it this evening with my wife's help. I'll post an update on the voltage at the starter with the key in the crank position.

Comment

Turns out that Merc installed what they call a slave solenoid as part of the ignition system. It's really just a relay, but I replaced that piece, and it starts like it's new! Tracked back low voltage and narrowed it down to the slave solenoid. $30 later and five minutes of time, and everything is like new.

Comment

Working...
              X