What is this wire for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is this wire for?

This wire, brown with a blue stripe, is not attached to a fuse block under the helm and it has been cut too about 10" away from the blue connector. It looks like it might have been been connected to a 10amp fuse. Any idea what this wire is used for and why it isn't attached anywhere?ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408837704.849230.jpg

Probably an extra or for an option that you don't have in your boat. Is everything working? If so I wouldn't worry to much about it.

Comment

The only thing that isn't working is the chart plot, which we purchased because the wife wanted to make sure she could find her way around the lake if I wasn't around. So far she hasn't been able to use it. We'll get it checked out at our winterization. I was thinking that might be the wire for it, but don't want to reconnect it if it isn't supposed to be connected.

Comment

Originally posted by boardman74 View Post
        Probably an extra or for an option that you don't have in your boat. Is everything working? If so I wouldn't worry to much about it.
        x2, though usually the wires are labeled. I don't see a label, but could it be just outside the photo? Virtually every unconnected wire under my dash has a factory label on it.

Also, you say it's been cut. Do you mean this is just a length of wire sitting under there, with a quick disconnect terminal on one end and a cut end on the other? If so, can you look around and see where the other side of the cut is? Is there a matching wire hanging out of the harness somewhere?

Comment

I was thinking it might be for some option that I don't have, but there is an empty spot with a 10amp fuse in the block where this quick disconnect could go. The wire is cut and the rest of it is just outside of the pic so I'll see if I can find a label and follow it's route today.

Comment

Well, looked today and wasn't able to locate a tag, but think I found the other end. It goes into a relay pictured. Any thoughts?ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408918948.873202.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408918979.328682.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408918995.286413.jpg

Comment

Hard to guess. You'll probably have to trace some of the other wires. Almost definitely the heavier red wires will be +12VDC so nothing to be learned there. But the smaller wires may reveal something.

Gotta say, I really hate the way boats are "wired". Relays and fuseholders just hanging around wherever, ziptied and taped every which way. Takes a medium with ESP to find 'em all, which makes servicing a PITA. There always seems to be "just one more fuse" literally hanging around somewhere. This is not a Tige complaint, from what I've see they're all done this way. I know this is a semi-custom business but the wiring harnesses are spec'd out so there isn't a lot of variation... seems like this could be handled a bit better. Electrically it's "fine" but from a user convenience standpoint it's awful. Just my $0.02.

Comment

can you hear or feel the relay close when you turn the power on?
                Cant see what terminal on the relay it is connected to in the photo, but might be the ground wire for the relay
                Can you tell use what wire ( color) is on what terminal?
                Attached Files
                Last edited by whitlock87; 08-25-2014, 06:05 PM.
                Tige, it's a way of life!

Comment

I found this on that relay
                  85 and 86 are for the coil one needs to be 12DC and the other ground. this will close the relay.
                  30 is the in and 87A = NC (normally closed) and 87 = NO ( normally open)
                  Attached Files
                  Tige, it's a way of life!

Comment

what terminal does it connect to? Looking at the orientation of the other terminals, its plugged into the #85. That would make its the B+ side of the coil. In that case, the B- side of the coil, the #86 pin, is a ground trigger. That makes me think its a ground command from the Viper/Murphy (which ever your 2014 has). Could be tower lights as I do know those are ground trigger on the Malibu Viper. Now, this is based off that wire had come off that 10A fuse.

Fallow those 2 red wires that are sharing the #86 pin, opposite the tan/blue and see where they go. If they are switch B+, then that makes the tan/blue the ground for the relay coil.

Next, fallow red thats on #30, it is likely consent B+. This leaves the #87 going to whatever that relay is supplying voltage to, like tower lights, underwater lights, docking lights, heater, shower, etc.
                    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

They use loose hanging relays for known components like lights?!? I would have expected at least those to be integrated into the modules purchased from Medallion or Murphy, or a relay rail if they must be external. Wow.

Comment

You would be surprised to see how many boats are built with relays zip-tied to the harnesses. This is especially common when its for an option that checked on the build sheet. If its a a relay for something thats standard, they typically anchor them with a screw. But, I will say that that does not look factory, so it could have been done a dealer level.
                        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I had a problem initially with the heat exchanger (I believe that's what it was) and the dealer had to rerun and make a bunch of new connections, so it could be from that. When I get back to The boat this weekend. I'll see what I can find out by following the other wires. Thank so much for all the input guys!

Comment

Working...
                          X