Engine Cranks but Won't Start, Ignition Buzzer, '05 22v 5.7 Marine Power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Cranks but Won't Start, Ignition Buzzer, '05 22v 5.7 Marine Power

We were out yesterday and were switching skiers when the boat would not start. No previous problems like this. In fact for the five years I've owned, boat has always started. Up to this point we had started and stopped at least 10 times in between skiers. In this instance the engine cranked great but would not fire up. After trying to start 20 times i realized that the ignition switch buzzer was only staying on for a few seconds. Normally it stays on as long as the key is in the on position, while the engine is cranking and stays on a few seconds after the engine starts.
    We got a tow in and while being towed I tried to start again, the buzzer stayed on as normal and it started right up. when we got back to the dock, I started and stopped 10 times without problem and the buzzer was acting normal as well. Don't know if the buzzer and starting are related but seem to be.
    Also if I had to guess I would suspect a lack of fuel. During those 20 attempts I was stroking the throttle and even tried a few cranks near wide open and never got a smell of gas.

My guess is your safety lanyard engine kill switch is the problem. Had the same issue with my 05 24v with 340 MP. I just bypassed the switch.

Comment

Originally posted by CDAWaves View Post
      My guess is your safety lanyard engine kill switch is the problem. Had the same issue with my 05 24v with 340 MP. I just bypassed the switch.
      Thanks for the suggestion. Probably a good idea in the base case as we've never used the kill lanyard. I did find a post from 2008 where the same problem was described and he thought he isolated the problem to the large electrical connector on the back of the engine.

Comment

I am experiencing a similar problem now. I have a 2005 21i Rider's Edition with the 5.7 Marine Power Engine. Got the boat to the launch, started it up on the trailer. Backed it off and idled up to the dock. Moved the truck and loaded the passenger. Pushed off the dock and tried to start it again and it wouldn't start. Tried to start it multiple times. I noticed the key alarm is only sounding for a couple of seconds and the fuel pump is not turning on. There is a buzzing coming from under the instrument panel also - it may always be there anyway. I haven't noticed before. It seems to me that maybe the ECM is not allowing the fuel pump to turn on for some reason and is shutting off the key alarm. Has anybody else experienced this problem? Any other reasons the key alarm would shut off while the key is on? So far I have bypassed the kill switch and disconnected both batteries to try and reset the electronics. Neither action had any effect. I also tested the neutral safety by putting it in gear and turning the key. The difference is that while in gear, the engine won't turn over. When in neutral, the engine turns over. The buzzer is the same whether in gear or in neutral.
        I have attempted to attach a link to a video with the key alarm audio.

Comment

Ok, I found the problem in my case and have repaired it and verified the repair. Turns out the fuses in the ECM fuse & relay box had corroded leads. This caused one of the fuses to heat up and melt and actually melt the trace off the backside of the printed circuit board. This seems to be a serious safety issue to me. Sure am glad the boat didn't catch fire while on the lake. This failure explains the transient nature of the starting problem in my case and maybe in the case of the thread initiator. I recommend that anyone with this generation of Marine Power Engine pop the cover off that box and check the fuses. Replace if there is any sign of corrosion. Can anyone recommend a conductive grease that could be used on these fuses to prevent further corrosion?

Here are some photos.
          photo1.JPGphoto2.JPGphoto3.JPGphoto4.jpg

Comment

Dieletric Grease AKA "Tuneup grease"
            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Working...
            X