Tige 22V 2001 Taps Electrical Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tige 22V 2001 Taps Electrical Issue

We have a 2001 Tige 22V. Its been an awesome boat, but recently we ran into some issues with our Taps system. The Taps system will work great for some period of time and then it will decide to act up and not function. We found that the 20 amp fuse under the dash will be blown when the Taps stops working. We will replace the fuse and the Taps will work again until the fuse blows again. The problem is occurring more frequently as time progresses. I tried checking the ground and it appears to be in good shape.

From what I've read a bad ground can cause this problem or a bad relay can be the issue. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to fix the problem and what they would recommend doing. Any help is appreciated since I am not electrically inclined.

Blown fuse can be from motor working too hard, did you check the fluid level of the reservoir? Is it contaminated with water? Seals still look good on the ram?
    2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
    2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

If its still working your relay pack is good (when the relay dies nothing moves). Like Ewok said something is causing the motor to work to hard.

Comment

I'd first check the small wires in the throttle handle that run to the TAPs switch they break or short causing all sorts of strange things. My taps was doing this so I pulled the switch from the throttle and replaced the bad wires running up the handle and it's been 3 years with no more problems.

Comment

Thank you all for your advice. It was very helpful. I was going to purchase a new relay, but your advice helped. You were correct about the motor working to hard. The Taps system was really low on automatic transmission fluid. I filled it up and the fuse stopped blowing on me. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
          X