Blown blower fuse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blown blower fuse

Just noticed my blower fuse was blown on my 2011 22ve.The master switch for the blower still turns the blower on. There is a red flashing light on medallion interface. I replaced the 7.5 amp fuse and it worked for a bit, but now it has blown again. Any suggestions

Wrong size fuse? Look up the blower motor by manufacturer and part number and see what the manufacturer recommends for the fuse size. It may be as simple as the factory accidentially installed the wrong fuse size.

Comment

Blown fuse

Originally posted by WABoating View Post
      Wrong size fuse? Look up the blower motor by manufacturer and part number and see what the manufacturer recommends for the fuse size. It may be as simple as the factory accidentially installed the wrong fuse size.

I tried putting a larger fuse in and it blew that one too
      Factory installed was 7.5 I tried a 10

Comment

Does it run for a moment before the fuse blows? Or does the fuse pop instantly? If the latter, it's almost certainly a short in the wiring. Now that we know this, do NOT go any larger on the fuse until you confirm what the manufacturer recommends for fuse size. Fuses are there to protect the wiring from getting hot... go too big and you risk much more serious damage.

Comment

Originally posted by Baldo View Post
          I tried putting a larger fuse in and it blew that one too
          Factory installed was 7.5 I tried a 10
          It was running before it blew
          It seemed ok then I just noticed it blown again

Comment

Then you really need to confirm what the manufacturer recommends for fuse size. Get the name and model off the pump body and Google it.

Comment

Your pump should not be blowing a 7 or 10 amp fuse. It may be going out and have to be replaced. There's likely too much resistance in the pump motor.

Comment

Originally posted by wired1236 View Post
                There's likely too much resistance in the pump motor.
                For clarification's sake: An increase in resistance (electrical, that is) would reduce the current flow and thus not blow a fuse. On the other hand, an increase in rotational resistance would reduce the back EMF generated by the motor and could, in fact, increase the current flow. A stalled motor looks pretty much like a dead short until it starts spinning up and generating back EMF, which then limits the current. So if the bearings are starting to fail, or there is junk in the fan blades preventing them from turning properly, that could indeed increase the motor current and pop the fuse.

For the propeller hat crowd (that's me! ), current is inversely proportional to resistance by the equation (I = E/R) where I is current, E is voltage, and R is resistance. Since R is the denominator, current flow goes up as the resistance of the circuit goes down, and vice versa.

Sorry for the TMI, I'm just working on this stuff daily right now and I can't help it.
                Last edited by IDBoating; 07-08-2014, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Ya. That's what I meant[emoji12]

Comment

Originally posted by wired1236 View Post
                    Ya. That's what I meant[emoji12]
                    I know, but I thought I'd save you having to type out what you were thinking.

Comment

It seems like my blower goes out every other season. It is making horrible noises now and needs to be swapped.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan View Post
                        It seems like my blower goes out every other season. It is making horrible noises now and needs to be swapped.
                        When you replace them, do you look inside to see if there's an obvious reason? Is there a lot of play in the motor/impeller shaft? Gunk built up around the blades? It would be nice to know why they are failing so often. I've owned two boats over the past 11+ years - my first one is still on my lake - and neither one has ever needed a new blower. It would be nice to know what is different.

Comment

Originally posted by WABoating View Post
                          When you replace them, do you look inside to see if there's an obvious reason? Is there a lot of play in the motor/impeller shaft? Gunk built up around the blades? It would be nice to know why they are failing so often. I've owned two boats over the past 11+ years - my first one is still on my lake - and neither one has ever needed a new blower. It would be nice to know what is different.
                          I think water gets into the blower exhaust when we are surfing.

Comment

X2, depends a lot on where the vents are located. My 08 took water on through the surf side vent after the rider fell and the wave caught the boat when I stopped. The 14 not so much an issue. Not near as much list needed.
                            "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail" John Wooden- Rest in Peace

Comment

I know for a fact mine experiences that, but I think the blowers are designed to tolerate it. Do you see evidence of water intrusion/damage on the old units you replace?

Comment

Working...
                              X