New Tige owner needs help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Tige owner needs help

I’m a fairly new Tige boat owner and I’m having a problem with my Tachometer. All the sudden it won’t stop beeping. I got the boat (2002 Tige 2100v limited) a little over a year ago, and enjoyed a problem free summer last year boating with my wife, kids and friends. Even though it’s old it’s in excellent condition. This spring I upgraded the stereo, replacing the original Clarion and the 2 remotes with a Kenwood receiver and 2 remotes, one in the dash and one on the transom. Now when start the boat, the tack starts beeping and won’t stop unless I hold down the “M” (menu) button. The tach (Faria Commander) works (displays the RPM) when the engine is running, and also correctly displays the air and water temp on digital readout on the tach. However the engine hours appears to reset to zero each time I turn the key on. I took the boat to a local boat shop, and he replaced the water pump impeller (had not been done in a while) and hooked the engine up to a computer and did not find any fault codes or problems. The engine (MerCruiser 350 Towsport Mag MPI) runs fines. The mechanic gave up and told me to call Tige. I looked under the dash to see if I could find any wires that I might have knocked lose when installing the new remote for the stereo (or any other obvious problems) but everything looks OK to me. Any ideas what to look for or what to tell the next shop I take it to as a place to start? Thanks very much for any help or ideas!

The alarm sounder is typically tied to engine management and depth, and not necessarily the function of the tach solely. Did you hook up the new helm remote's illumination wires?
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Welcome to the site! I'm not much help, but wanted to get that in there. Maybe try Faria Instruments?
      http://faria-instruments.com/index-marine.php
      Customer Service: Call: 800.473.2742
      Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Tach problem

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
        The alarm sounder is typically tied to engine management and depth, and not necessarily the function of the tach solely. Did you hook up the new helm remote's illumination wires?
        This alarm is definitely coming from the tach, not the speedo/depth gauge. It will stop for a minute when I press the "M" (menu) button on the tack. Playing with the function buttons on Speedo/depth gauge has no affect. The depth alarm is definitely off. Per the mechanic, all the MerCruiser engine management alarms (oil pressure, temp, etc) don't some from the tach. However, per the MerCruiser manual, if your transmission fluid temp is too hot, an intermittent horn will sound (not sure where that alarm is). The temp being to hot is not the problem since the alarm sounds almost immediately when the key is turned on, even with the engine off. The new stereo remote (Kenwood KCA-RC55MR) only has one single connection that goes directly back to the receiver (KMR-555U). However, the old Clarion remote did have illumination wires which are now not connected to anything. I tried connecting a 12 volt test lamp to the disconnected wires, then turning on the dash lights. The test lamp went on, among with the rest of the dash lights, but the tach alarm still sounded. Should I try doing something else with the no longer needed and not connected illumination wires from the old remote? Thanks!

Comment

Thanks Mike - already have an email into Tige and Faria, but since it's an older boat, and the busy season, I'm not expecting a response any time soon.

Comment

As long as those unused illumination wires are taped off and not contacting anything, they are not an issue, nor are they linked to your current issue. Is the depth's shallow setting possibly set too deep? Having the Faria hour meter reset is not uncommon, but having it reset each time out, is odd.
            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

No the depth sounder is definitely set to zero, which means the alarm is off. In any case, the depth sounder is in the speedo, not the tach, and it's definitely the tach that is beeping. Thanks for your help, I'm starting to think I have have somehow shorted out when I disconnected the old remote, and now the tach is bad.

Comment

I'd call Tige as the Tech suggested. Your going to want to talk to Harvey or Eddie G.

Comment

sorry, posted to wrong thread.

Comment

Originally posted by boardman74 View Post
                    I'd call Tige as the Tech suggested. Your going to want to talk to Harvey or Eddie G.
                    Sounds good, I'll give it a try. Thanks for the contacts!

Comment

Well, it was definitely the tach. I disconnected it and pulled it out of the dash and no more beeping. Also, no more engine RPM display (except on the Perfect Pass) and no more air/water temp either - and a big hole in the dash . The strange thing is, per the manual, the only alarm in the tach is for low fuel level, and that's only if you have the fuel flow/fuel level option, instead of the air/water temp. I had water/air temp. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the gauge tested and/or fixed (assuming it's the gauge and wiring gone bad). I'm sure it's too old to replace, but would Faria fix a 12 year old tach? Thanks!
                      Last edited by erdjohnson; 06-17-2014, 03:09 AM.

Comment

Different boats, but maybe an old thread might help?
                        http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...ght=tach+reset
                        http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...ght=tach+reset

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAllen View Post
                          Thanks! I did see the one about the stuck buttons - they all look ok. Also did look for loose wires and bad connections but did not see any. I don't know what a "B+ and/or B- BUSS" is, or if my boat has one. Also not sure how to reset the ECU. Just disconnect both batteries? Does my battery switch do that same thing when switched to "Off"? At this point pretty sure I have a bad gauge. I'll try to contact Faria about getting it fixed.

Comment

Sounds like a good plan. The one post says $145. It seems like you could buy a whole new gauge for that?
                            I found some info on their repair site. Possible 4 week wait? https://faria-instruments.com/forms/?form=new
                            Before, I bought some Faria gauges from http://www.boatersland.com/faria.html

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAllen View Post
                              Sounds like a good plan. The one post says $145. It seems like you could buy a whole new gauge for that?
                              I found some info on their repair site. Possible 4 week wait? https://faria-instruments.com/forms/?form=new
                              Before, I bought some Faria gauges from http://www.boatersland.com/faria.html
                              I found one site that had the gauge for about $60, but it was "out of stock" - I would think permanently, since it's over 12 years old. I think I'll just send it in and get it fixed.

Comment

Working...
                              X