Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trickle charging

2013 tige r20 single battery

I would like to trickle charge battery because of infrequent use this spring without completely removing battery from boat . I should still disconnect positive cable correct ? Appreciate your replies.

No need, trickle away.

I'm assuming you have all main stuff turned off. Maybe radio battery and bilge pump direct connected, but everything else off...

Comment

Perfect thx

Comment

A couple more thoughts for a more inclusive answer:

- Assuming you have one battery. Not good to use a trickle charger across 2 batteries in parallel. If the batteries are at all different then one could get damaged by the trickle charger not sensing the correct state of charge.

- Also assuming you are using a smart battery charger, not an old fashion charger inductive only charger. A smart charger will sense the current it charging at and ramp down to a low level, then turn off while sensing the voltage, then turn on if it decays/drops enough to warrant some more charging required.

Comment

Thank you . Very informative as usual.
          Have a great weekend.

Comment

What about a "Battery Tender" on a Crank/Accessory battery setup? I've been trickle charging with batteries in the "OFF" position for about 10 charges now. Should I be disconnecting at the terminal every time I charge?

Comment

Originally posted by dr1v3n View Post
              What about a "Battery Tender" on a Crank/Accessory battery setup? I've been trickle charging with batteries in the "OFF" position for about 10 charges now. Should I be disconnecting at the terminal every time I charge?
              Really depends on the charger. If its a smart charger/maintainer with a float mode, then you should be ok to leave it plugged up, but consult the manufacturer.

The other thing to consider. There is a difference between a maintainer/tender and a charger. Most tenders/maintainers are designed to only keep a charged battery topped of. They are not intended to recharge a depleted deep-cycle house battery.
              Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Working...
              X