My Amp Is Dead Help???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Amp Is Dead Help???

I recently replaced my tower speakers on my Switch V with two brand new samson HLCD speakers and took my boat to the river last weekend, to my surprise the tower speakers were not working. After ruling out that it was not the brand new speakers I searched for electrical issues. I found on my amp that all 3 of its fuses (20amp 32v fuses) were blown. I replaced all 3 of them and when I returned power to the amp noticed an awful electrical smell, a very obvious and strong electrical smell, enough to make your face flinch. Obviously I disconnected power right away.

Am I safe to assume that my amp is fried/spent? I wasnt getting much sound out of it the past couple months and have been wondering if it has been working correctly for a couple months. Is it something else or does it sound like the amp is fried? I hope its not a short in the electrical system elsewhere, the smell was coming from the amp (or at least seemed to be).

If my amp is shot, whats a good amp that I could get that wont break my bank but still deliver great sound? Also, is this something I could do myself or should I leave this to the pros?

As a side note, all in boat speakers are working perfectly, even with fuses removed from amp. I feel like they may not be powered by that amp.

Thanks guys!!!

This one would be a good one for chptril to weigh in on

Comment

If the amps internal/chassis mounted fuses were blown, its safe to say the amp is no good. Add in the electrical smell omitting from the amp as well. Any chance that a battery got or is, connected with the cables reversed?

I would suggest a 4 chnl amp bridged into 2 chnl mode with a 4 ohm x 2 rms between 200W and 300W for those speakers.

Kicker KMX400.4 or IX500.4
      Wet Sounds HT-4
      Arc Audio XDi804V1 or XDi450.4V2 or XDi600.4

Are a couple I definitely would suggest.
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Thank you for your reply I really appreciate it! I looked up the kicker amp and it looks like its a car amp, do they make a marine version of the amp?

Definitely not reversed battery connections as I can see.

Also, do you think I can do this myself or should I leave it to the pro's? Thanks so much for helping me out.

Comment

The IX series is a car amp, although its a recently retired model. One of my faves none the less. The KXM is a marine amp.
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Awesome, I spoke with a couple other people and they recommended digital over analog. Is class D considered a digital amp? What are your thoughts?

Comment

No, the "D" in "Class-D" does not denote "Digital" as many misunderstand. What most people are meaning, is the difference in power consumption/conversion efficiency between old school Class-A/B technology and new full-range Class-D technology.

Comment

Working...
              X