fuel guage not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fuel guage not working

Hi everyone. I have an 04 22I. As of this year everything worked great. I got it out this year and the fuel gauge does not work. With the key in the off position the gauge reads below E and always has. When I turn on the key now the gauge moves a little bit and seems to just stop. It is still below E when it stops, and yes the tank is fuel haha. I tried adjusting the full and empty potentiometers on the sending unit thinking they may just have a dirty spot in them, but that didn't help, didnt change the needle on the gauge at all.. I also checked the wires on the back of the gauge, that are all tight. It seems to me that it is the actual gauge that is bad do to the pots not changing the needle position at all. I assume I have power/connectivity to do the way that the needle moves a little bit when the key is on. Anyone have any ideas or had this problem. I might pull the sending unit today and make sure the float is not stuck.
    Jim
    Last edited by springer; 06-01-2014, 02:22 PM.

Did you pull the float out of the tank and manually slide it?
    On my 04, the gas gauge only reads in ¼. The float moves up and down and uses magnets to change the resistance. If I short out the two wires going to the float, my gauge will read full. (this is a quick way to test if the gauge is working) I had the magnet fall off of the float on my tank and it caused the same issue. I installed a universal float that is full proportional and have not had any more issue.
    Here is the link to what I need to fix my issue
    http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...i=74917&r=view
    Tige, it's a way of life!

Comment

Ok the sending unit in my take does not have a float is just a straight aluminum tube that's 8 inches long. It's clearly marked 12 volts in it, but I only have 5 volts at the wire at the sending unit any one ever have this happen? Why would I get such a voltage drop like that. Everything else in the boat works perfectly.

Comment

I tried shorting the 2 writes together and my gauge Dosent move.

Comment

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...%20unit%20test
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Took the boat or this weekend first weekend tried to put in an aftermarket sending unit but that didn't fix the problem of the fuel gauge not working. Now the oil pressure gauge has stopped working, reading 0 psi. I know it's not the motor cause it would of blown up. I ran out all day.

Comment

Working...
            X