Battery Switch Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery Switch Question

Stupid question... coming from installing a Bluesea "Add a Battery" in my last boat that was completely idiot proof every year. Just left the switch on and it charged both batteries while underway and then isolated when we sit at the sandbar and played some tunes.

Now, I have a 2013 RZR with the dual battery option. All I have is a switch and isolator I assume. I did not get the manual yet or I would be reading up. Where do I keep the switch while underway? Do I have to manually switch it when we are at the sandbar? I had it "on" and think it was not charging while underway. Switched to combine and the house voltage bumped up??? I just picked up a 20amp 3 bank charger to install this weekend with my 3rd battery but I still want to know how the current setup works for if I need to add an ACR to make it idiot proof again.

Thanks,
    Mike

Your 2013 Tige should, if factory installed, have the same Blue Sea 6011M Dual Circuit Plus switch as you got with your Add-A -battery kit. The Tige OEM EIDB setup uses a diode isolator as opposed to an ACR. The basic principal is the same.

How were you monitoring the house voltage? What was the house voltage prior to switching to combine?
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

House was mid 12's... got home and checked with a multimeter and it was 12.28V. I topped it off overnight and it is only reading 12.7 on the TT. Need to check with the multimeter again. Perhaps a bad battery? The boat is over a year old and who knows what the dealer did.

Comment

So, to answer my question. I should just leave it to "On" and they will charge when underway and isolate by themselves. If so I might have a bad battery or it was too low to charge? Connections look good. Breakers look good but I don't know where everything is at yet either. What is the box next to the cranking battery? Clear black cover on it?

Comment

You have an ACR , when your at home set switch to off , one when on the lake, and combine if you ever have a dead starting battery , never leave it in combine , as it ties both battery banks together

Comment

Originally posted by Z1Fan View Post
            You have an ACR , when your at home set switch to off , one when on the lake, and combine if you ever have a dead starting battery , never leave it in combine , as it ties both battery banks together
            for clarification,

1. When in the "On" position will both batteries charge when the boat is running?
            2. Is the purpose of the "Combine" position only when you have a dead starting battery?
            2013 Z3 - Electric blue and black

Comment

Yes to #1 and yes to #2 , you should never have to combine the batts , unless you have a dead starting Batt, you might want to use the same motto as I do , I always swap out one battery every three years , what's a 100 bucks versus getting stuck on the water

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Comment

There could be an exception to #2 above, depending on the type ACR/VSR is in the system. If the house battery has been heavily taxed while at anchor, some ACR/VSR units will bounce or cycle, until the house battery level has finally recovered some. Switching to combine, will circumvent the ACR/VSR, putting alternator charge directly to the battery, through the switch.
                Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Mike is right , you should check and see what type of isolator you have

Comment

Originally posted by Z1Fan View Post
                    Mike is right , you should check and see what type of isolator you have

um....you lost me on "there could be an exception...." in layman's terms how do I determine what I have?

Comment

Locating the isolator and noting the brand and model. If its a diode type that tige has used in the past (seems they changed in the last model year or 2), then the exception rule will not apply. If its an auto combining relay/voltage sensing relay that Tige is using now (seems that they switched in maybe 2013) then the exception can apply.

Comment

My boat , as well you know Mike. Has the the auto switch , so it all depends , I had to rewire mine with your help !! If it helps this is what mine looks like

Last edited by Z1Fan; 07-01-2014, 02:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                          There could be an exception to #2 above, depending on the type ACR/VSR is in the system. If the house battery has been heavily taxed while at anchor, some ACR/VSR units will bounce or cycle, until the house battery level has finally recovered some.
                          Is this when it's in the "On" position? And is the purpose of this function just to prevent a complete discharge of the house battery?

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                          Switching to combine, will circumvent the ACR/VSR, putting alternator charge directly to the battery, through the switch.
                          What are the implications of this? Is the purpose of this function simply to recharge the house battery, or does it also allow the starting battery to provide power to accessories (which could mean you accidentally deplete your starting battery?)?

Comment

Working...
                          X