Posisble Battery Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Posisble Battery Issue

So I unwrapped the boat today and gave it a good cleaning in the driveway for the start of the season. I flipped the battery switch from the off position (where it had been all winter while wrapped up) to the on position. I put the key in the ignition and gave it a click to the right. Dash and Tige Tough powered up perfect and I could navigate through all the menu's with no problem. As I played with the Tige Touch I realized the blower never came on and the head unit for the stereo never turned on. I went to the audio menu in Tige Touch to turn on stereo and change sources and no go. I went directly to the head unit to turn it on and no go.

I turned the battery switch to combined and boom.... blower turned on and stereo was jamming. With the key turned to the right I should have had auto blower and stereo function with battery switch in just the "ON" position correct?

I wouldn't imagine the battery was bad cause it powered everything else up fine?

Also.... that annoying low voltage screen kept coming on when I had the battery switch in the "COMBINED" position. From my recollection last year the low voltage screen only appeared if I had the key to the left, and I could just have the key clicked to the right and the battery in the "ON" position and everything worked.

Any thoughts guys?

I wouldn't imagine the battery was bad cause it powered everything else up fine?
    I wouldnt say "bad" battery just yet, but for sure, your house battery is low and the primary is ok. When you rotated the switch to combine, the house battery is combined with the primary. This was enough voltage to power the stereo, blower etc.

If you have a volt meter and a battery charger, I would charge the house battery (both batteries actually) and check the voltage after a good charge.

Also.... that annoying low voltage screen kept coming on when I had the battery switch in the "COMBINED" position
    This is normal. IMO, its an oversight in the Medallion firmware.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I have a charger but not sure on the volt meter. I'll throw them on the charger and go from there.

Thanks as always mike!

Comment

Batteries at a minimum should have been disconnected physically, not just turned to off. You really should remove them from the boat and charge them monthly or so. Either that or use a trickle charger during the off season. Start by charging them and see how that does. If you still have issues they may have froze and are bad. Dead batteries can freeze where charged batteries usually will not. With a 2011 depending on use, care and hours it could be time for batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by RZRCO23 View Post
          I have a charger but not sure on the volt meter. I'll throw them on the charger and go from there.

Thanks as always mike!
          Go get a $20 digital volt meter and it will pay for itself 100 fold. Knowing the current voltage level and then the static level after a charge and removing the surface charge will tell the condition of the battery.
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I second what boardman said. I take my batteries out every winter and charge them every so often. I have left them in a couple times before and they ruin every time.

Comment

Also, connecting (paralleling) a charged battery to a (partially?) discharged one will draw down the voltage of the charged battery, as current flows into the discharged battery trying to charge it. The resulting "combined" voltage may be low enough to trigger a low voltage warning, yet still be high enough to allow some systems to run.

Agree on the inexpensive digital multimeter. Harbor Freight has them for under six bucks and often gives them away with any purchase with a coupon. Every boat owner should have one to answer inevitable questions like this one.

Comment

Third Boardman. I take mine out and charge them two or three times throughout the winter, depending on when I stopped and when I start. Actually, just got my batteries put back in today.

Comment

Once the batteries are charged what should I be seeing voltage wise if the batteries are good still?

Comment

12.5V - 12.8V, but not right after charging. If its out of the boat, let it sit for a few hours, if in the boat, play the stereo for about 15 minutes. This takes off whats called the surface charge so you get a more accurate static charge

Comment

Question - does allowing a deep cycle battery to completely discharge take life out of the battery?

Comment

Originally posted by mls6722 View Post
                        Question - does allowing a deep cycle battery to completely discharge take life out of the battery?
                        Yes, most definitely. Any battery for that matter. If you find yourself running the house battery down below 12V on a regular basis, you need more Ah. This can be a larger battery or more batteries.

Comment

most of your big box parts stores will test them for free. I would charge first as i'm sure that is the problem but they may have been discharged long enough over the winter and froze so may not hold a charge again. It might be a pain to pull and take to parts store but is worth the peace of mind knowing they won't leave you stranded.

Comment

I had a similar issue. I actually had pretty good luck using a car charger on lowest amp(2 amps) setting. I think the battery charged for like 2 days before it actually showed full. The higher amp setting caused the charger to bounce back and forth between charge and full. I did remove the battery from the boat while charging.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Does anyone know which batteries are being used while the isolater is in different positions? When the isolator is in position 1 is it using the house battery or the cranking battery?

Comment

Working...
                              X