Yet another TAPS problem....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yet another TAPS problem....

Alright, so I bought new actuators from bennett for my 02 21V. I replaced the actuators and filled up the pump with fluid and jumped the wires to the battery. I was able to get the plate to go down but not up. The only way I can get it to go up is to loosen the hydraulic hose and relieve the pressure. I want to make sure that I am jumping the wires correctly. I have been jumping the motor but (Batt.- to Green and Batt.+ to Blue to get it to go down) / (Batt.- to Green and Batt.+ to Yellow to get the plate to go up). Anyone have experience with this?

The whole TAPS was a mess when I bought the boat and I knew it. The previous owner put screws through the actuators to hold them where he wanted and the wiring was not connected to the rely and the switch in the handle was wired poorly.
    2002 Tige 21V Fox Racing Edition, 315hp, 1.5:1, Acme 1631

The most common cause of a TAPS system when nothing works, is the relay assembly. Where in the TAPS system are you jumping those wire colors? before the relay or after.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I'm jumping it before the relay. I disconnected the the wires by the HPU. I think it may be the Solenoid Valve. I dont hear it clicking when I jump it. I have watched a few videos now on YouTube and gone through the bennett troubleshooting docs. Dose the relay need to be in the system?

Comment

The relay setup is really what reverses the polarity so the pump runs both ways. Sounds like a bad relay pack.
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

is there a way to test the relay and if it test bad can I buy another pretty easy or is it a special order?

Comment

Well, yes. If the pump runs one direction, odds are its good. If you can duplicate what the switch is supposed to do, and the pump runs one direction and not the other, its a good bet the relay assembly is bad. I think they are still available.

Comment

I had the same problem, I finally got fed up and found the perfect Taps setting for wakeboarding with the ballast we have then unhooked it.

Comment

If you cant find the relay pack you can rewire it like the older styles were with 2 seperate 12V common relays. We ended up doing this on my brothers 01'. Now his needs new wire in the handle going to the switch but we can at least move the TAPs under the dash now.

taps rewire.jpg

Comment

I'm going to mess with it some more tonight. I'm 90% sure the solenoid on the pump is bad. I haven't tested through the relay yet so once I get the solenoid replaced I will give it another look. But until then I am going set the taps on 5 or so until I get it figured out and maybe fine tune it and leave it with ballast if it takes a while to get it sorted.

Comment

ruger, do the diodes need to be in there? if so is there a certain size or anything? im thinking of wiring mine this way.

Originally posted by Ruger761 View Post
                    If you cant find the relay pack you can rewire it like the older styles were with 2 seperate 12V common relays. We ended up doing this on my brothers 01'. Now his needs new wire in the handle going to the switch but we can at least move the TAPs under the dash now.

[ATTACH]34033[/ATTACH]

Comment

oh yeah, just a little update I replaced my old HPU with a new one and now I can test the HPU at the back of the boat and get it to go up and down now with no problem. still cant get it to test through the relay so I am going to make my own relay and see if that dose the trick.
                      Last edited by scotty83; 04-29-2013, 12:07 AM.

Comment

Yes the diodes need to be there. I used the largest radio shack had which were 3 or 6 Amp.

Comment

ok, good deal i will pick a few up thanks for your help

Comment

Hopefully biggybacking on an old post works so I don't have to start a new thread for a VERY common problem!!!!

I've jumped the wires just before the relay (blue, green, yellow) by touching them with a wire from the battery and everything works. But the wires coming out (after) the relay are red white and black. Any idea how to test these?? I just want to make sure the wires in the throttle handle are indeed the problem before I start the tedious task of replacing those little guys. Or if it is just the relay.

Just need to know how to test after the relay with the red, white, and black wires.

Thanks!!!

Comment

Jumper off the black wire to the white or red as close to the relay as you can and see if it works. If it does then its a wire/switch issue in the handle.

Comment

Working...
                              X