First time owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time owner

So I just purchased my first Tige. 2002 V21 Rider Edition. I have a couple of questions, that may just be new owner stupid.

1. My depth gauge will read 1.7 ft all the time. If I hit the up arrow, then it will read the actual depth for a few seconds to a few minutes, then it goes back to 1.7 ft. Is this normal?

2. My gas gauge reads full, unless I am floating, not moving. Is that the only time I can rely on the gauge?

3. TAPS gauge does not read at all. So, the dealer says that I need to replace the coil on top of one of the cylinders that is like the sending unit for the gauge reading. Does that gauge really tell me much? Can I live without it?

Thanks in advance.

Im still new to the site and tiges so i cant help with much I know on my older malibu the gauge bounced around when I was moving I was never sure how much fuel I had because of the fuel slopping around in the tank and my tige is way new now and I have only had it out once so I cant answer on that either I guess. I think you would want the taps to work so you know where the trim tab is if your going from skiing to wake boarding etc. But other than not answering questions hey Welcome to the site lots of good info here and as I learned everyone will want to see pics of your new boat.

Comment

-Replace the depth gauge, it has an internal issue but the transducer should still be good.
      -Fuel gauges and boats, why bother... that problem is the sending unit in the tank. I would suggest replacing with a WEMA sending unit and calling it good. If you choose to replace it yourself, remember, gas is flammable, gas vapors are heavier than air, gas in the bilge because the install was done incorrectly is always a possibility so BE CAREFUL. NOTE: ALL sending units in ALL marine fuel tanks have an offset 5 hole pattern and will ONLY FIT ONE WAY in the tank. DO NOT TRY AND REDRILL HOLES THAT DON"T LINE UP (I've seen some fly by night mechanics do this and it's unbelievable), rather rotate the sender until it lines up. The sending unit in the tank now has a pivoting mechanical arm where the new WEMA unit is just a vertical tube so you MUST get your tank height correct before ordering that unit.
      - The sender for the TAPS unit, no clue, sorry.

Good luck
      Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Thanks for the input. I will look at purchasing a replacement depth gauge. I won't bother with the fuel. Paddling to shore is always better then actually being on shore. So I won't worry about the gas gauge.

I have to look further into where to get the replacement end cap for the TAPS piston. The dealer lead me to believe getting the correct one is not easy.

I'll get some pic's as soon as I have all my items fixed.

Comment

With regards to the fuel gauge... I have heard the same thing about them (that boatwakes posted) from many others. You can fix it, but it may not last long. However, my dad recommended the best method I have seen yet. Take a long, thin piece of wood (I use a small molding strip)... when your tank is full, place the stick in the tank, pull it out, mark the full point all the way around, and write "full" all the way around on the mark. I didnt write full, and thought I was almost bone dry-I had the stick upside down:/. Trim off any excess, place in your locker, and you have the most reliable full gauge out there for the cheapest price.

Comment

Working...
          X