Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maintaining the battery in my rz2

Hi folks,

I have a 2009 rz2 with two batteries and a cutoff switch that cuts out the starting battery only. There is a big yellow warning plate that states I need to disconnect the battery before charging or there will be damage to the electronics. I am curious if anyone knows what they are concerned about damaging and how I can easily go about charging my accessories battery. Since the stereo and pretty much everything else run from that battery it frequently gets run down . I have a charger and power at my dock that I could easily use to keep it maintained. I'm just concerned about doing some kind of damage.

Thanks !!

Zipp,

The main concern here is that some large shop type chargers can easily exceed 16V's while charging. This high voltage can be a danger to some electronics.So depending on your charger, you may or may not need to go the extra lengths of disconnecting the battery(s).
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Mike,

Thanks for that. Do I need to use a two bank charger if I am only concerned about charging the accessory battery? Just wondering because the two batteries are connected.

Also, I'm interested in the shadow caster lights for my Rz2 . Can you give me an idea how difficult the install is? I just finished installing my ballasts and I'm not keen on drilling too many more holes in the boat!! I was hoping to tie them into the nav lights so when that's on the rear is on. If you could pm me pricing that would be great.

Thanks!

Comment

During the normal season of a boat, the primary starting battery rarely gets run down, so a dual-bank charger is not needed. But, for maintaining the starting battery during the off-season, having a dual-bank is a huge plus. If some is going to spend the money and time to install an on-board charger, the going with a dual-bank is worth the investment.

For those that its convenient to just plug up a regular portable charger from time to time, then there's nothing wrong with that. The huge advantage of an on-board is that they are made for the marine environment and are smart chargers. They run through the 3 main battery charging cycles, finishing with the float/maintain stage and can be left plugged in. Some portable chargers are not "Smart" chargers, you plug them in and they charge a a constant rate unless manually changed. Some do reduce the charge as the battery is returned to full charge, but its not the same as the maintaining stage of an on-board.

Installing the transom lights is pretty straight forward, even if your boat has the current factory under water light. I'll PM you some price and insight into the install.

Mike.
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Working...
        X