Order dual batteries with boat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Order dual batteries with boat?

We just ordered a new Tige 21i. Should we have dual batteries installed, or add another later? How much does this typically cost to have done as an upgrade?

-wakewench-

if you can do it now go ahead, if you ever need more electronics it will be a big help.

Comment

I ordered it w/ my 22v. Trust me, its well worth it. My order sheet says that it was $245, but it's cheap insurance. It totally sucks when you have everything loaded, boat backed in, and you turn the key only to hear "click!" What sucks even more is when you're out on the water and that happens. I run dual batteries and carry a jump box around with me, plus, I keep them peaked with battery tenders. These little gems monitor your battery's charge level and trickle charges them when they're not at peak levels. When they are at peak levels, they monitor the charge and put a "storage" charge on them to keep them peaked.
      http://www.batterytender.com/
      Freude am Fahren.

Comment

Thanks guys. I mentioned this to my husband and he is going to call the dealer tomorrow and see if we can get it added to our order. Should be able to as we still have another month or so before we get it. I'm just worried about the kids being out in the lake listening to their music and then not being able to start the boat due to a dead battery.

I've learned alot from you guys on this website and enjoy reading everyone's comments and suggestions. It's good information to have and I'm sure once we pick up our boat, I'll have more questions.

--wakewench--

Comment

yeah.. make sure that when they're out listening to music w/ the engine off, that they have it switched to 1 battery. That way WHEN they run it down, they can switch it over, start/run the engine on both batts (after switching it back), and they'll be in good shape.
          Freude am Fahren.

Comment

You can pay the factory $245 or do it yourself for $120. Marine battery $75, battery box $15, Perko switch $15, and cables $15. There is really nothing to it at all.

Comment

When you know nothing about batteries, mechanics, electronics, etc...it can't be easy! My husband could do it but I don't know if he wants to spend the time installing when he could be playing How long does it typically take? Maybe I'll suggest it to him Then I could buy that cool lounge chair for the dock I saw at Costco !!

Comment

It won't take any longer to install than it will take to go buy the parts- one hour or less. It really is probably the easiest thing that you could do yourself. If you are not sure, take a look at a boat with dual batteries at your dealer and then you will realize it is no big deal.

You deserve the chair at Costco if he is getting the boat.

Comment

just dont reverse the polarity
                  Freude am Fahren.

Comment

Hey runne,

do you run one of those battery tenders for each battery? just wondering. During the off season, I just pull both my batts out of the boat and keep them inside the house and charge them once a month. That works great, and since they are at a constant temp, they really don't go bad.

Word of advice, never use a alternator to "charge" a batt. It doesn't work. Try not to run your one batter dead, because when you switch to both batts, to try and charge them your splitting the alternator between two batts. and it really doesn't work. my theory is it's better to burn a gallon or two of gas every 30 minutes to an hour to keep the batteries fresh, then to replace a dead battery

Dom
                    Originally posted by G-MONEY
                    It hurts me to say it but go OU but only for this weekend!!!!

Comment

better batteries?

Are some brands of batteries better than others? I just had my dealer install a second battery in my 22I, is the switch suppost to be inside the port side storage area? And also shouldn't my cd player work with out the switch beijng turned on? Isn't that the idea of dual batteries? Besides not getting stranded, is to keep from running the time clock up on your boat. I think I need to take it back and have them do it right!

Comment

I won't speak to battery brands- everyone seems to have their preference, and my experience is that they last twice as long as I can get a battery to last in a car. But you want the stereo off with the key off and on with the key in acc. and on positions. The hour meter should not run on in the acc. position.

Comment

Check out the ChargeTek 500 12volt Charger. It cost $99, it is a 3 stage charger, serves as a battery tender to always keep the batteries peaked and it services 2 batteries. I have one sitting here waiting for my boat to be delivered. I found this at

http://www.batterystuff.com/battery/...rgetek_500.htm

Comment

dom, yes you can charge both batteries with one, but I happen to have a couple of them, so I'm going to have one on each- unless I figure out some pimp way of going through the battery selector. Hm... that gives me an idea. Yeah, I think I'll do that. Thanks for the idea! Anyways, I'll take some pics of what I'm thinking of when my boat gets here...
                            Freude am Fahren.

Comment

Working...
                            X