dual battery switch help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dual battery switch help

Ok im setting up my dual battery setup with a perko 8501 switch. Pos cable from batt 1 which will be starting battery to 1 terminal on switch, pos cable from batt 2 to 2 terminal on switch, starter cable to com. terminal on switch. Correct? Now if I want stereo to be on batt 2 I was told by perko to connect pos for stereo to comm. Correct? So I hooked it up and as I switch through the settings on switch stereo always has power? Switch has 1,2,all,and off. What am I missing? Where should I hook up all my accessory powers too for stereo,dash,and ballast pumps? I was planning on hooking all accessory powers to a bus bar and having one pos lead to I thought common on switch? I even tried putting pos from stereo on to terminal 1 on switch and then set switch to the 2 position and still have power? Hope I didn't just confuse all that read this.
    Last edited by topaz surfer; 12-24-2011, 09:47 PM.

Ok im setting up my dual battery setup with a perko 8501 switch. Pos cable from batt 1 which will be starting battery to 1 terminal on switch, pos cable from batt 2 to 2 terminal on switch, starter cable to com. terminal on switch. Correct?
    That is an acceptable configuration.

Now if I want stereo to be on batt 2 I was told by perko to connect pos for stereo to comm. Correct? So I hooked it up and as I switch through the settings on switch stereo always has power? Switch has 1,2,all,and off. What am I missing?
    With any accessory wired to the "C" post of the switch, it will be powered as long as the switch is either 1, 2 or BOTH. If an accessory is "hot" with the switch in the "OFF" position, it is more then likely wired directly to one of the batteries.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

So does that mean that when starting the engine it is using both batteries? Also if I want to be able to sit with engine off and run the stereo off of battery 2 and not drain battery 1 I need to hook up the pos from the stereo to the 2 terminal on the switch? And should I hook up the bus bar for all my accesories that way?

Happy Holidays
      thanks
      Chpthril

Comment

That is a dual-bank manual switch. The loads i.e. stereo or starter etc, will draw off of which even battery bank you have the switch set to.

If you want to start off of the main battery 1, then the switch needs to be set to "1". If you want to anchor and listen to the stereo with the engine off, then the switch will need to be switched over to "2". If you want an automatic setup, you will need to install an ACR (auto combining relay)
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

ok so it sounds like Im on the right path. But just to clarify do I hook up the poss from my accessories to the com on the switch?

Comment

Originally posted by topaz surfer View Post
            ok so it sounds like Im on the right path. But just to clarify do I hook up the poss from my accessories to the com on the switch?
            You can, but do not have to. The only thing that really needs to be wired straight to the main battery is the bilge.

Comment

Ok I think I got it. Com on the switch is always hot unless the switch is turned off. But if the switch is in the 2 position it is only using power from #2 battery. Correct? My plan is to hook up the pos from stereo, ballast pumps and other accessories to a bus bar and then hook that to comm. on the switch. Then bilge pump straight to battery 2 itself.

Comment

Working...
              X