• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3rd Battery ACR + Perko and Upgraded Alternator

So when I got my boat it had a dual battery setup on the wetsounds system

But no perko switch. It did have a ACR this kind

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...e+Relay+Module

So when I pulled the rear panel to access the batteries I didnt notice but the previous person hooked the wire from the back of the ACR to the battery with 0 slack and as I pulled the panel out I also ripped of the wire from the ACR circuit board. well crap but it was only a 75 amp one ( I think I should go check... well maybe not it will just make me mad again I broke it.)

So some of you are asking what the hell is a ACR or VSR.

What it does if your battery volatge for the house battery goes below a point it disconnects the starter battery. It would be like have a jumper cable from the + post to + post and some one pulling the cable off every time the voltage gets low so the starter battery does not get drained down.

Now the AMP part of the ACR is the rating of how many AMPs can go through it so if you have a high output alternator or charger the 75amp ACR might be a little weak and not recommended.

So now that I need a new one and a perko I went with this nice combo setup.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...Switch+Package

This one also disconnects the house circuits during starting to protect voltage spikes in sensitive electronics ( your amps for example)

So here I have my starting battery and one of my house batteries.

my third will go in the box that now has some oil jugs in it

Both my house batteries are the big group 29 ones

Ok the next task after a day of floating jamming out to the music those giants battery's would murder my little 55amp alternator. Also for some reason they used tiny 10 or 12 gauge + and ground wires coming off the alternator to charge the battery.

Oh and one other note when those giant batters are dead and you are using a ACR when the voltage the the starter battery gets high enough and closes the ACR switch the discharged house batters will pull the volts so far down that the ACR can start "switching" on/off rapidly when this happens the house battery's my never take a charge when driving around. Another reason I am upgraded my alternator.

my new + wire from the alternator to the starting battery.

new ground you can see the current ground wire next to it.

And I picked up the alternator from the shop today 100 bucks and they rebuilt it with a 130 amp stator.

Any suggestions or questions? I am also pulling all my switchs besides the bilge off the starter circuit on putting them onto the house batt's.

I will attempt and drawing a wiring diagram of how it looks.

lol ok this is kinda sad but I understand it

Comment

Man... you have been busy! How many hours you have in on this? I haven't had any problem keeping my boat batteries charged.. "Knock on wood" ButI could def use a new alternator like that one... 100 bucks form them to rebuild?! Very nice my friend.. wish I could offer some advice but I got nothing.. just Kudos..

Comment

It's hard to say how long as I am doing many other projects at the same time.
        New steering cable (done)
        New impeller (done)
        Engine oil, trans oil, V drive oil (done)
        New plugs (done)
        New PVC valves (done)
        Drained out old winter gas and new fuel sender (done)
        Fuel filter (done)
        New idler and tension pulley + belt (done)
        Fixed shower ( semi done)
        Fixed heater ( semi done)
        Took it out on the water and still had some high temp issues not sure if it was a bad sending unit or the motor is getting to warm. Ordered a engine t-stat and both temp sending unit.

And I still have a list of projects I want to do
        Ordered 3 pop up cleat (2 center and one bow)
        Build my plexi glass windscreen
        Adjust my aerial tower and get correct clamps
        For the wet sounds pro 80's and wire the tower.
        Re-teak the deck. The list never ends lol.

Comment

love the Granite top work bench!

Comment

Working...
          X