School me in stereos, Chpthrl (Mike)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School me in stereos, Chpthrl (Mike)

Mike, I have no stereo in my 20i thanks to some thieves. I am taking this opportunity to upgrade, but I already have some car stereo components I would like to use that were in my kid's truck. He took them out when he sold the truck.
    Tell me what you'd do with these components in my 20i... (please):
    Rockford Fosgate P450-4, 4 channel amp
    Rockford Fosgate p550-2, 2 channel amp
    3 ea. Fosgate Punch 10" sub-woofers
    4 ea. Clarion 6" full range biaxial speakers (installed)
    2 ea. Cliff Designs 6" Triaxial speakers
    An older Clarion head unit.
    Ipod cables to RCA
    My iPhone 4 with 6000 songs on it.

My question is more about crossover for subs, how many subs should I use.. are the amps suited to the boat...shoudl I $hit-can it all and buy new... Im a do-it-yourselfer, so either way, I will be the installer.
    Thanks
    So this monkey walks into a bar...

Quick responce:

Car amp and car sub, no issue using in a boat.

If those Clarion in-boats are the originals, I would suggest popping the grills off an inspecting the cones. Those generation Clarions were bad to deteriorate after a couple seasons. If they look good and sound good, then roll with them if you want, but there are better IMO, sounding speakers out there, but thats my ears talking. Also, are those Cliff Designs in the boat or on the tower? If in the boat, its time to upgrade all the in-boats to the same ones.

if you dont want to upgrade the head-unit, I would strongly suggest some sort of peripheral that will allow for good quality MP3 integration as well as be a line-driver.

Subs: One properly done sub can be all most need or want. If you want to ripple water and kill fish, that takes a bit of planning i.e. the right sub and enclosure in the right location and powered right.

I'll run those sub specs and then you will have an idea of what you can effectively power with them.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

The Cliffs are out of the boat.. sitting on my bench.

Comment

So I really do need a head unit.... Should I wire the iPhone using the aux in or the RCA to headphone cable... (probably doesnt matter.. gonna be $hitty quality either way)

Comment

You do NOT need a head unit. I ripped mine out and replaced with an EQ. My iPhone is my head unit via the EQ.

Waiting for another good one!

Comment

Originally posted by bigdaddy_houseboater View Post
            So I really do need a head unit.... Should I wire the iPhone using the aux in or the RCA to headphone cable... (probably doesnt matter.. gonna be $hitty quality either way)
            If you get a new head-unit get one thats USB and use the iPhone's PC cable. Just check with the head-units manufacturer for compatibility.
            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Hmmmm ... I'm considering this too now...
              Nice that the amps and subs are fine. Not sure about my speakers though.. I may replace the back 2 with the cliffs. Do i need to add some other midrange stuff.. directed at the passengers?

Comment

Is there a device that is remote that will run the iPhone and has Bass / Treble / Volume / Balanace / Fade and can drive the amps?

Comment

With this cable, it goes into the EQ input and it comes with a 12V lead so it will charge your iphone as well.

Comment

So it doesnt matter which EQ I use?

Originally posted by Fiveflat View Post
                    With this cable, it goes into the EQ input and it comes with a 12V lead so it will charge your iphone as well.

Comment

I have the Arc Audio KEQ7, but I would suggest the Wetsounds ws-420. Comes with a microphone so you can hollar "Show me your nature" to the other boats...

I want to swap my EQ for the ws-420

Comment

Mike.. are the amps I have any good? What level of quality are the Fosgate P450 and 550?

Comment

Originally posted by bigdaddy_houseboater View Post
                          Mike.. are the amps I have any good? What level of quality are the Fosgate P450 and 550?
                          If they function fine, then then probably are good. May not be as efficient as some of the newer Class G/H and Class-D amp out today though. Its also important to make sure they will adequately power what you want to power in order to achieve your objectives

And no, you do not need a head-unit if you do not listen to AM/FM/SAT/CD, I I do not advise going right to the amp via RCA with your MP3 source. The quality will not be good after mid volume.

Comment

Mike,
                            Thanks for your advice....

Comment

Working...
                            X