add battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

add battery

09rz2 ,I want to pull out my deep cycle and replace with 2 .is interstate 29's good as I get good deal on them and where to add 3rd battery or move both .I'm currently powering syn 4 ,2 pro 80's ,1 10"fa and gets fuzzy when battery gets low which is like 20 min .ideas ?

It would be a very tight fit and I mean tight, to get a group 29 into the space where the current group 24 deep-cycle is.

If it will fit, I would locate the 2nd house battery over on the starboard side.

If not, I would consider leaving the factory EIDB system intact and add the pair of group 29s as a dedicated stereo bank with an ACR. If you go this route, I would yank the factory ON/OFF and install a multi-bank switch. This gives you a true dual-bank system + a dedicated stereo bank. I would also take that now unused ON/OFF switch and use it in between the 2 group 29s to isolate one of them from the alternator for times when they are cycled very deep.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Can you put the 3rd battery in the transom on the starboard side or do you have factory ballast tanks in the way there? Malibu's, MB's come with the batteries up under the port side dashboard storage, that's another place you could put them.

Comment

ACR ? is that a perko switch ,and could the new 29 bank hurt my alternator ,really appreciate your input

Comment

Originally posted by shawn74 View Post
          ACR ? is that a perko switch ,and could the new 29 bank hurt my alternator ,really appreciate your input
          ACR = Auto Combining Relay. 2 dead group-29s would be a shock on the alternator when the engine is first started after a long day of playing. Cutting the bank in half eases the load on the alt. After a while of running the 2nd house can be brought back in to the loop.

I would also highly suggest a charger to replenish the stereo bank and not rely on the alternator to recharge them.
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I run two group 29 Interstates and love em Red tops SUCK so do yellows and Blues AGM Batterys FTW
            www.1320diesel.com Home of the Fastest Diesels!
            http://youtu.be/dEDdM0Y3IGs?hd=1

Comment

thats a goooood answer ,been reviewing everything i could read about agm vs everthing else and got 50/50 feed back

Comment

The Optimas are actually gel-Cell and not AGM.

$ for $, an AGM such as Shuriken or a Kinetic is a far better battery then the Optima Blue-top Marine deep.

$ V's Ah, you cant beat a good'ol wet-cell like the Interstate 29 The 29 is about 40% more Ah's @ about half the cost.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickedcummins View Post
                  I run two group 29 Interstates and love em Red tops SUCK so do yellows and Blues AGM Batterys FTW
                  They actually dont suck. They just dont work good mixed with a wet-cell battery. The Gels typically require a higher charge voltage to be brought back to fully charged and they dont seem to get that with a traditional alternator and wet-cell in the mix. Maintained right, they are actually a decent battery, just not always the money for the Ah's.

Comment

I dunno I would never buy another one again. Had two in my truck that supplys about 15volts constant 220 amps. Had 8 red tops 6 yellow tops and none of them lasted more than 4 months. Starter only draws 650 Amperes @ 8 volts @ 100 rpm and I dont even have the heater grid that draws 190amps.
                    www.1320diesel.com Home of the Fastest Diesels!
                    http://youtu.be/dEDdM0Y3IGs?hd=1

Comment

was looking at prosport on board do you recommend a brand and a amp size ,was thinking of putting 2 battery bank by amp under stereo pros and cons ?

Comment

I went through 3 Optima red tops in the span of a year, the first one I purchased and the other two were replacements because they sucked(in a truck, not a boat). Your mileage may vary but I would never buy another Optima again. When I got the third one, I sold it and went with a Sears Die Hard and never had a problem again. LOL.

That's good info on the relays and stuff Mike. Just out of curiosity, how much are Interstate group 29's?

Comment

Originally posted by Timmy! View Post
                          I went through 3 Optima red tops in the span of a year, the first one I purchased and the other two were replacements because they sucked(in a truck, not a boat). Your mileage may vary but I would never buy another Optima again. When I got the third one, I sold it and went with a Sears Die Hard and never had a problem again. LOL.

That's good info on the relays and stuff Mike. Just out of curiosity, how much are Interstate group 29's?
                          Thanks!

The Interstate group-29 retails for $120.

Comment

Originally posted by shawn74 View Post
                            was looking at prosport on board do you recommend a brand and a amp size ,was thinking of putting 2 battery bank by amp under stereo pros and cons ?
                            Deffinetely go with a multi-bank charger. One that will recharge the house bank and maintain the starting bank. The key is to go with one that will deliver in amps at least 10% of the banks Ah's.
                            In no particular order:
                            C-Tech
                            Pro Mariner
                            Ship'n Shore

Comment

Overtons and Gander Mountain have the Pro Sports on sale right now.

Comment

Working...
                              X