OPTIMA BlueTop Deep-Cycle Battery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OPTIMA BlueTop Deep-Cycle Battery?

In the 2011's, it's offered as a $125 upgrade for the second battery in the dual battery set up. Its supposed to "deliver power for your audio up to 2 times longer than traditional flat–plate batteries."

Any thoughts on these? Worth the extra dough? Thanks.

YES!!!!!

These are made specifically for marine/RV use to deliver longer lasting power. My brother has one in his truck and it will run his stereo for a long time and wont run down like normal batteries. I would have used this battery to replace my Interstate battery that was in my boat, but it was still in the replacement time period so I went that direction. But when the warranty or replcement period is up, then i will definitely be leaning this direction.

Comment

The D31M Optima Blue Top marine deep-cycle, by Interstate, is more then 2X the cost of the Interstate Group-24 deep-cycle and doesnt even have the same Ah rating. And when talking batteries for a stereo bank and and play time, it's all about Ah's.

Step up to a Group-31 (about the same physical size) and they have about 75% more Ah's and still dont cost as much.

The one real down side to mixing a wet-cell lead-acid battery with a gel-cell, is that the Optimas need a higher charge voltage level to achieve a full charge. This can often leave them under charged or over charge the wet-cell. If Tige is still using a diode type Iso/combiner, then this is even more hampered as the diodes have an apx .7 voltage drop across the diodes, so an even lower voltage level reaches the battery.
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Thanks, Mike. I have no idea what half of that means, but I think get the picture.

I have also heard that the Optimas have a harder time holding a charge when they sit for a long time without use.

Comment

I replace Optima's all the time! In fact, I just took out a yellow top yesterday. They are over hyped in my professional opinion. We use http://www.kinetikaudio.com in our big car audio systems and use Interstate in all our marine systems.

Comment

I haven't tried them for larger batteries yet, but I have started using Odyssey AGM batteries in my jetskis and ATV's. Doing so has cured several problems such as difficulty starting in colder temps, etc. One of my jetskis in particular originally shipped with a larger starter gear and therefore requires more torque (read: more current) to start the engine. Regular batteries were dying in just a few months, but the Odyssey has been holding strong. A touch of the button and it roars to life.

Worth a look.

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/

Comment

In most instances, the issues I see with Optimas, is the lake of being fully recharged by a standard alternator, and not so much that they are just junk. It's about the right application and maintenance, with any battery.

I have heard good things about the Odyssey batteries. I can get them through my distributor, just haven't tried them as they are close in price, size and specs to Kinetic and Shuriken brands that I use.
              Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

And optima batteries are typically more expensive than other AGM batteries. I bought one because I read that AGM batteries are able to be abused more than a typical wet marine deep cycle battery, meaning discharge it down further without doing permanent damage. I also thought that AGM batteries can hold a charge sitting on a shelf longer or in a boat longer too but that might have been marketing propaganda.

I did install a Guest 2 bank isolated battery charger which can charge up two different types of batteries independently on each bank. It was a little more expensive too but it works. Interesting thing is that the owners manual tells me to use the same charger setting for wet batteries and AGM, but gel cell batteries need their own charge profile.
                2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
                2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

Working...
                X