Stearn and navigation lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stearn and navigation lights

This may sound completely stupid so I'll just apologize now and get it out of the way. I just purchased a 2003 20v and my stearn and navigation lights will not come on. We have tried every switch on the dash and nothing. I thought maybe it was a fuse. I have been looking for the fuse box all day and cannot find it. Have I gone blind or am I just overlooking it? Where is the fuse box on this thing? Unlike my old boat, it does not seem to be under the dash. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I was under the impression that Tige's do not have fuses. They have circuit breakers. These are located on the right side of the dash, on plain view (at least that's where they're at on the 22v's).

Do you have a pop up light on the bow. Those things are tricky as heck. If you do, it could be a contact within the unit, or the bulb may have come loose. I hear that happens a lot in those units.

The rear light is a pain in the you know what as well (the kind you put the post in). Most times it's the post not making connection to the socket. You could also have corrosion in the socket. Have you checked for that?

What I'm saying here is that you may have two separate issues and not a single problem.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I have the pop up navigation light and can't seem to get it to pop up. I didn't want to break it. I will check the bulb and also for any corrosion on the stearn light. Thanks again.

Comment

Okay, I checked the front navigation light and if it pops up then I can't figure out how it does. I couldn't find any corrosion on the connection for my stearn light so I don't know if maybe I just have a bad light. I also found that the compartments on either side of the motor, the light does not go out when the covers are latched down. This would tell me why the battery was dead when I bought it. Is there something I can check to see why this light is not going out?

Comment

Those compartment lights swivel up and down to control whether they are on or off. Check the light by pressing the top or the bottom and see if it moves.
          Ray Thompson
          2005 22V

Comment

Okay, that worked for the compartment lights. Thanks a million Ray. Now if I can just figure out why my stearn and bow lights won't come on I'll be set.
            Last edited by john3540; 07-12-2005, 12:49 PM.

Comment

The Pop up lights have always been troublesome. If you notice, they're no longer available as options.

The way to take make the light pop up, is to press on it and gently release it. It should then pop up. Once is up, contacts within the unit will conduct power to the light bulb inside and light it up (if the light switch on the dashboard is on).

However, these rascals get stubborn every once in a while as it's happening to you. In this case, take a screwdriver and loosen the three screws on top. Once it's loose, you should be able to press on it should come up.

Once it's up, ensure that the light bulb is in place.

Personal experience also tells me not to tighten that light all the way down (when you replace the 3 screws you loosened above), as it will keep it from making it proper contact and make it difficult to pop up.

On the rear light, take a voltmeter and make sure you're getting power. If you do, take the voltmeter to your light post, and see if you have resistance across the connecting leads. If you don't, then it's your light.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I was trying to get that light to pop up the other night and you're right, it's tricky. I didn't want to break it. I'll loosen the screws and see what I get. Thanks for the much needed advice. We are not new to boats but we are new to Tige' so it's a prossess getting familiar with everything.

Comment

Okay, I got the light to pop up and it turned out that the connection under the dash came loose. I got it reconnected and the light works just fine now. Thanks again for all the help and suggestions. I can't wait to get it out on the water.

Comment

DAMN!!!! looks like ray and mendez have stepped up to cover for me while i'm out.

sorry it took so long to reply john, i got you pm this morning. looks like these guys got you all taken care of
                    Greg Denton
                    former service mgr. Tige Watersports July 95-July 05

Comment

Yes they did. They were a great help. We took it out last weekend for the first time and I must say it was GREAT. I now know why I bought this boat. Thanks for all the help. We look forward to many more great weekends of skiing and wakeboarding.

Comment

I've also found tricky performance from the front light. I've found that if you push it down and then twist underneath, you can get it to pop up and down better when it's being stubborn. We're still having issues with it even though it was already replaced under warranty some time ago. (2003 22V) That's an alternative to "hammering" on it to get it to go up and down. I believe the light bulb engages the contacts only in the "up" position. Ours has come loose from the contacts at least once. So that's something to keep an eye out for too.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                        X