My Battery burnt my finger.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Battery burnt my finger.

Had a weird electrical problem and would like to get some input. At Mead on Friday I started the boat at the launch ramp but it started going "click, click, click" as though it were a dead battery. The boat however fired up and and we made our way out of the marina. Just before we left the wakeless zone I turned the boat off to make sure it would fire back up.

This time all it would do is give off the clicks and not turn the boat over. I went to the dual batteries and the positive terminal on one of them burnt my finger. I disconnected that battery, the auto bilge was on it as well as a positive wire coming from a relay looking deal with three red wires coming off of it.

Once all of that was disconnected the boat fired right up and everything was fine. The next day I decided to hook everything back up and again the boat fired right up. I'm hoping it was a loose connection on the battery.

What do you think this could have been?

Why did the boat run fine all day with one of the positive wires disconnected from this relay deal?

2004 Switch I, 350 Marine Power, carbed.

Post a photo of the "relay", may just be a voltage activated charging relay for the battery system. Your battery connection theory is dead on. When a poor battery connection exists, it will cause the terminal with the weakest connectivity to heat as it's trying to carry the amperage through a "small" connection area, either positive or negative. Sounds like you solved it though!
    Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Thanks Wakes, I appreciate the input.

Comment

Working...
      X