Speedometer Troubles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedometer Troubles

I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on my 2007 Tige 21i speedometer problem. Speedometer worked fine from 0 hours to 7 hours at which time it quit working. When it quit it also triggered the engine into idle-only mode. Marine Power (awesome guys) fixed the idle-only mode with a ECM reflash. Put another 23 hours on the boat waiting for a new tri-ducer. Dealer installed new tri-ducer and the speedometer worked great again for about an hour plus what time the dealer ran it for the lake test. It seems that we really have only three basic parts; sending unit "tri-ducer", ECM and speedometer control module. Can these parts be tested? By the way the boat runs awesome. The wake is a little big, but I will live with that if I can get the speedo working permanently.

Does your boat have factory dual battery system (EDIB)? I think the 07 model had a problem with a mis-match in voltage between 2 batteries and it would cause problems with the throttle and put the boat into limp mode. This is a stretch but there is a fix to the wiring harness that puts all engine controls on the starting battery to keep the voltage constant. If it's not the reflash on the engine,not the transducer, its either the speedo module in the dash or other electric gremlins and the battery wire harness is as good a place as any, it will need to be done sooner or later.
    2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
    2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

Speedo Troubles

Our Tige has a single battery.

Comment

We installed a GPS/Fishfinder to get around some of those problems but yes, those parts can be tested.
        Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Not sure how savvy you are with electronics, but there are some basic checks that can be done on the system that are described in the MEFI 5 Diagnostics manual. You can download this from the Marine Power website. Check pg. 249-253. Alot of this is just checking wiring, connectors, crimping, grounds etc.
          Also SPBFAN (on this forum)may have a scan tool available. I know he was talking about getting one and lending it out for a small fee & large deposit. You could check for any stored codes and maybe narrow things down a bit.
          Last edited by 22veguy; 09-02-2010, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X