fuel sending unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fuel sending unit

I just replaced both speedometers and the cluster gauge. The volt meter on the cluster hasn't worked since I owned the boat and the fuel gauge stopped working at the beginning of the season. My question is I found that the fuel sending unit has gone bad (made by rochester). What is a good replacement unit. All my gauges are faria if that means anything. Thanks for the help

the one on my 04 stopped working, so i took it apart to find a magnet fell off the float. Glued it back on with some 5 min epoxy and its been working fine since
    Tige, it's a way of life!

Comment

When I move the float up and down manually, it moves really easy and the gauge moves with it. When I reinstall the float in the tank it doesn't register. Where is the magnet located.

Comment

FOUND IT! The holy grail. Found it online at E Components. They are distributors of the original rochester sending units. To order them directly from rochester I would have to buy 53. if anyone ever needs one the number for E components is 1-800-640-1556. They were very helpful.
        Last edited by jody osendorf; 08-24-2010, 02:35 AM.

Comment

On my boat, the float is incased in a tube.
          This tube is about 7 inches long and about 1 inch in diameter. The float slides up and down a PCB with four sensors mounted to it. F, ¾, ½, ¼, E are the only reading I can get.
          I know that Overtons has a analog generic sending unit for about $35.00
          http://search.overtons.com/?D=gas%20...tt=gas%20float

Its strange that yours works in your hand, and not in the tank. Can you use a meter to make sure it is not shorting out somewhere?

Comment

When I talked to the person at Rochester gauges they gave me the numbers it should test at. I still have it taken apart so I will test it as soon as I get a chance. I was thinking the same thing because it moved so easily by hand. I hope its just the sender because its the easier fix. Thanks for the help. I will let you know how it plays out.

Comment

Mine just barely stopped working a few weeks ago. Let me know what you find out and how you solved it.

Comment

Will do. Part should be here next week... Hopefully.

Comment

I finally got around to testing the old sending unit. It was still good but the float had gone bad. It was heavy and saturated. Must have had a crack or something(couldn't see one). I changed out the sending unit and it now works great.

Comment

Mine has not worked for years now. I just fill up every time before going out. If I am on the lake for more than a day I start the day with a fill up. Even when the darn gauge worked is was not much help.

Comment

We do the same thing but I still like to have a ball park figure. Somehow it puts my mind at ease a little. Plus its just nice when everything on the boat works, which for us is a first.

Comment

Gas Float/gauge problems

Originally posted by whitlock87 View Post
                        the one on my 04 stopped working, so i took it apart to find a magnet fell off the float. Glued it back on with some 5 min epoxy and its been working fine since
                        Whitlock87
                        I picked up your discussion from a year ago. I seem to have the same problem with my float, the gauge is stuck at 1/4. Where did you find the magnet, just in your tank? If it falls off in the tank, did you just have to fish around for it? Is the epoxy still holding? Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Comment

The magnet was stuck to the green PCB (the green circuit board inside the tube.)
                          I don’t like the way it reads, I am changing it out to a universal one from overtones. This way I will get full range on my gas gauge instead of the F ¾ ½ ¼ E only It like $16.
                          Yes the epoxy is still holding

Comment

Working...
                          X