TAPS 2 reversed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TAPS 2 reversed

My '02 23 V's TAPS fried and so I had to replace EVERYTHING - well actually I had the shop do it. Anyway, this version is slightly different than the original - it doesn't automatically reset to 8 after ignition is turned off, this new version waits for about 5 minutes +/- before resetting.

Anyway...everything is backwards now. Up on the switch lowers the TAPS plate AND 8 on the TAPS dial is actually 1

Just swap the wires that go to the actuator at the "brain"? It won't fry anything? I do NOT want to drop another $700 bucks on this nonsense.
    Buy my kid's board! http://www.flyboywakesurf.com

Wow, that would be tough going without taps. My boat now, and the 24Ve, I don't think they ever "reset".

Wish I could help you on the brain.
    http://wake9.com/

Comment

Never done it before, but I think I would reverse the wires at the switch. Then you know what wires to flip.

Comment

The ram (actuator) is a DC motor.
        So NO swapping the wires will not hurt it just change the direction
        good call
        Tige, it's a way of life!

Comment

Originally posted by ragboy View Post
          Wow, that would be tough going without taps. My boat now, and the 24Ve, I don't think they ever "reset".
          Every time you turn you boat off, the taps will go to HOME.
          The motor will run for a preset amount of time in one direction to ensure that the taps plate has moved as far as possible in that direction. (You can hear it run after you turn the key off).
          It does this to ensure that the gauge and taps plate match.

Comment

Mine is backwards too. When mine is set to 7+, it is down and it gives me a slalom wake, when it's at 1, I get a wakeboard wake.

I've tried to swap wires, and mess around with it a couple of times and only made it worse. I ended up going back to haveing it backwards.

If you paid the dealer to swap it out, I would ask them to fix it. That is assuming, they'd do it for free.

Comment

Originally posted by whitlock87 View Post
              Every time you turn you boat off, the taps will go to HOME.
              The motor will run for a preset amount of time in one direction to ensure that the taps plate has moved as far as possible in that direction. (You can hear it run after you turn the key off).
              It does this to ensure that the gauge and taps plate match.
              My 07 never did that. Plate stayed where I left it.

Comment

So if you set your taps to 3, the next day it still at 3?

On my 2004 it goes home as soon as I turn the key off, and on the new box that Ragboy got it sounds as if it now waits 5 min before going home.

The reason they need to go home, is that there is no feedback from the motor to the controller. By making the motor move in a fixed direction to one extreme lets the computer know where the taps plate is located.

Comment

Originally posted by Waterski-Rebel View Post
                  Mine is backwards too. When mine is set to 7+, it is down and it gives me a slalom wake, when it's at 1, I get a wakeboard wake.

I've tried to swap wires, and mess around with it a couple of times and only made it worse. I ended up going back to haveing it backwards.
                  As long as the gauge and taps plate do not match, by reversing the two wire going to the actuator will fix this issue. This can be done in the motor by removing the two acorn nuts that hold the cap in place, and then switching the location of the two wires. If you do it in the motor, make sure to use turban oil on the bearings before e closing it up. ( or any other nonconductive oil)
                  If the gauge and taps plat match and it is the rocker switch in the throttle that is backwards, just pop out the rocker switch and rotate 180.

Comment

On mine everything is reversed. So to move the plate down - I push the UP or top part of the switch - so let's say the plate is all the way up for whatever reason, that will show on the guage as 1 for a slalom wake and to get it back down I would press the TOP part of the rocker switch and the guage would then go from 1 to 7 while the actual movement of the plate is going from all the way up to all the way down.

Basically the rocker switch and the guage I believe are in synch, but the tab itself is opposite of the switch and guage.

So it sounds like what I need to do is swap the wires that travel to the actuator, right? I'm sorry if I just made this all worse!
                    Buy my kid's board! http://www.flyboywakesurf.com

Comment

Originally posted by whitlock87 View Post
                      So if you set your taps to 3, the next day it still at 3?

On my 2004 it goes home as soon as I turn the key off, and on the new box that Ragboy got it sounds as if it now waits 5 min before going home.

The reason they need to go home, is that there is no feedback from the motor to the controller. By making the motor move in a fixed direction to one extreme lets the computer know where the taps plate is located.
                      Correct. This change was made for the 06 model year, i believe the 05's where the last year to do this. There is an easy mod to stop this. It's either clipping a wire or connecting one to POS or NEG. Cant remember exactly as I have never had to do it, but I do remember either Lee or Dom posted the info.
                      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

My 08 does not reset, it stays at whatever position you left it at until you give it it's next command
                        "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail" John Wooden- Rest in Peace

Comment

and thanks to Chp for the explanation as usual
                          "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail" John Wooden- Rest in Peace

Comment

Surfdad
                            Yes swapping the two wires will fix your issue.

Comment

I hope Lee chimes in, As i would love to make this mod on my 04.

Comment

Working...
                              X