2004 20 V fuel gauge not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2004 20 V fuel gauge not working

Hey all I have a 2004 Tige 20v riders edition that the fuel gauge just suddenly decided to stop working. the rest of the gauges all work. The gauge has the fuel, oil pressure, engine temp, volt all in the same gauge. however the fuel is the only one that stopped working.
    OK I have checked the following. I checked to make sure the ground on the battery is still connected. I removed the sending unit because i have seen on other tige's the magnets come loose, they are all good. I have checked the wires at the back of the gauge, and all are tight. I downloaded from this sight the wiring manual for that boat, but don't see a fuse for that system in the diagram, unless i'm missing it..
    Any suggestions before i buy a gauge.
    I didnt have my multi meter with me to check for power at the gauge yet but thats my next step.

Tantrum,
    Is the gauge cluster (4 in one) the Mercury "Smart Craft" or smart crap? If it is the version with just three wires (red, blue, and yellow or white) with two pig tails, one is a male and one is a female. I have one to give you. If you just pay for the shipping I will send it to you on Monday. I have a UPS account so it will not be that much to ship. It is just laying around collecting dust... at least I will know that it went to a good home.
    By the way it did work when it was removed to make room for a Garmin display in a Sea Ray dash.
    If your gauge is not like the one I described, I can get the correct one for you, but I would order it straight from Mercury and it would be at cost. Ebay might save you some $$. Anyway, let me know.

...to check the sender, with your meter, put one lead on the top round plate of the sender (ground), and the other lead on the output or stud of the sender. Set your meter to Ohms (100-1K range, typically). Move the float arm slowly up and down. An analog meter works best. The indicator needle should smoothly follow the position of your float arm. If the meter's needle ever pegs to a short, sender is bad, if the needle goes to infinity, sender is bad. I believe the typical fuel sender will read 300 Ohms to 350 Ohms from empty to full. Durring this test watch the needle carefully, if the needle hangs up in a certain position the sender is not 100% and you should replace.

I have a 20V switch and access to the tank is real easy. Take the access cover off, in the middle of the bench seat. Pull the floor up from the aft slightly and push or pull the floor aft to un-lodge it from the forward portion of the floor. The fuel tank is right there.
    Good luck.
    Last edited by worsty; 08-07-2010, 12:10 AM. Reason: added more details

Comment

Fuel gauge on my 2000 21V Lmtd (faria gauges) just stopped working. Wondering if the lean from overloading port side for surfing had anything to do with it(?). Does you procedure apply to a 2000 model? and if so, when you say "move the float arm up and down", does this mean you unscrew it from the tank to reach the float arm?? Any particular precautions? Thanks

Comment

I don't think its the Merc 4 in 1 gauge, its the Faria, and my fuel sender is not adjustable, it has a float inside a tube. Not the float on an arm. That being said I found out that I have the right voltage going into my gauge approx 2 volts. so it should be working. got to get a new gauge.... Anyone know where I can find one?

Comment

Working...
        X