Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

electrical problem a little help please!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

electrical problem a little help please!!

We were sitting out on the water in a nice cove playing some good tunes when the electrical gremlins came calling. I hit the blower switch
    before starting the motor and the stereo shut off.
    After starting the motor with no problem I shut off the blower, we started off and the stereo came back on. When I turned on the bilge pump the stero turn off again. I shut the the bilge off and about 5 minutes later the stereo came back on. I checked all the fuses and relays today and they were all fine. I thinking bad ground somewhere or blown fuse. I put all new fuses in the fuse box at the raer near the swich and checked all in line fuses.

I have a 2001 21V with daul batteries using a Perko switch.

any help please.

Thankyou TK

I would first check the smaller wire connectors to each battery making sure that the crimp on ring terminals are not corroded at the crimp or the ring. That would cause the symptoms you are describing and still allow the engine to start. Ideally you would want to use the ring terminals that you can heat shrink seal the crimp to seal out any moisture at the crimp. That connection could be subject to alot of current draw when the amps are cranking which could cause alot of heat and can cook the terminal. I would suggest taking all of the battery connections off and wire brush all of the eyes and the battery terminals also. Replace any eyes that dont look perfect, if you cant find the ones with the heat shirink from the factory you could use heat shrink over the crimp of regular terminals. Turn off the pekro switch and remove the negatives first for safety and put back on the positives first.
    Hope this helps.
    Ray

Comment

Ray,

Thanks for the quick feedback. Yes, I just checked all the electrical crimpted connections and wire brushed the terminal and connectors and the stereo still shuts off when I turn on the blower or use the trim plate.

??????

Comment

dumb but ligit question, have you checked your batteries? charging system? does your stereo pull from one battery and the other start the boat? might want to check that out?
        Greg Denton
        former service mgr. Tige Watersports July 95-July 05

Comment

Tige' M.D.

Yep, You are correct. I had the marine battery checked back where I purchased it last May and it had a bad cell. The battery would not charge. They hooked me up with a new battery, I installed it and everything is working now.
          Thanks for the help.

Andrew thank you for the call.

TK

Comment

Working...
          X