Battery suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery suggestions

I need to purchase a new battery for my '94 Tige 2000slm comp. My local boat parts dealer has an 800CCA Interstate for $99. I plan to look at Costco to see what they have to offer, as well as my local CSK/O'Reilly. What do you all recommend as far as battery brand? Thanks for any input!

Any good marine battery, but I personally do not like the Optima's
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Dont know if they're any good, but i got my last battery from Westmarine. The previous one lasted about a year and 1/2, i took it back they tested it, said it was bad and with no receipt the guy told me just go grab another one off the shelf. Liked that part of it.
      I'd rather be a conservative nut job than a liberal with no nuts and no job.

Comment

No idea if they're any good but if you've got an Academy anywhere near you (which I just looked at their map and you don't) they've got their "stowaway" batteries with 1000CCA on sale for $60 this weekend. They seem to have 1 year warranty with 1 year full replacement.

Comment

Batteries

If you want the best and money is no option...This is an Odyssey battery manufactured for sears. Warranty is outstanding!

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02850131000P
          Boating Lake Mead since 2000

Comment

Interstate is a great battery. I run them in mine and we put them in all the boats we work on.

Comment

I've had great success with Optima. I think i am on my 6th year with my current Blue Top. The key with Optimas is using a Battery Tender. I used to go through one about every other year, until I spoke with the manufacturer. They said the key was to not overcharge them and use a charger with .75 or 1 amp. I can't remember which? ANyway the Battery Tender Jr. did the trick.

I'm not sure where your battery is located? Mine is inside a compartment that makes it hard to remove. I have to turn it on it's side just to get it out. I didn't want battery acid leaking anywhere on me or the boat. I'm not locked into Optima, but I wanted a dry cell battery.
              Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Optima or any gel battery has a specific charge range not to exceed 14.1 volts during the absorption phase. In laymans terms, if you run optima or a gel cell (not Absorbed Glass Mat AGM) and you don't get your engine alternator reworked with an external regulator (13.7 volts preferred) you will get only a year out of that battery. I've got 8 years on my optima red tops now and I run a regulated alternator AND fully automatic gel battery charger when the boat's layed up. Our alternators are set up for flooded lead acid battery chemistry with charging voltages near 14.8 on a soft battery so be prepared to do some work if you do go with a gel. Good luck.
                Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Now that's some good information right there, Thanks for posting it up!
                  Is that something that can be put in line or does your whole alt. need to be worked on internally?
                  Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

I've had great luck w/ Costco's batterys. They have 2 available for marine (if I remember correctly one is starting/deep cycle and the other is just deep cycle). When I bought my boat used in 04, it had one of each. With occasional charging they lasted me until 08. I bought 2 more but this time I got 2 of the big ones (I think starting/deep cycle) and they have been solid. 3rd season on them now and still running strong.

Comment

The external regulator needs to be added to the outside of the alternator by a qualified tech. It's not difficult to do yourself if you purchase a marine grade external regulator and then set the voltage for whatever specific you want. Reinstall, (plugging the pink and brown wires off the back with bullet connectors) and enjoy. Although, I had Lewco do mine for $140, it is relatively easy to accomplish on your own.
                      Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Working...
                      X