Trailer Lights Fuses Blowing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trailer Lights Fuses Blowing

I've had some problems with my trailer lights. First the running lights wouldn't work then everything wouldn't work. I checked the power coming out of the jack in the back of the truck. Turns out it was just the fuses in the truck were blown. Is there something I should do to keep this from happening? Could there be exposed wires? Should I be unplugging the trailer before putting it in the water?

Thanks

more than likely you have a loose or bad ground. check all your connections. I would unplug trailer while launching/retrieving until this is resolved. It may burn up headlight switch(personal experience) if you dont unplug if you have a faulty ground. Good luck

Comment

Also check for chaffed or cracked wire insulation. Just had the same thing happen, and the old wiring insulation (12 years) had cracked on the pigtail. Had a direct short to blow the fuses. Replaced the pigtail and all is golden.

Comment

I'll check it out. Thanks a lot.

Comment

Another question:

There is a small light on each back corner of my trailer. Are these lights for running lights or blinker lights?

Comment

I'm still having the problem with the fuses being blown. It seems to be only on the left blinker/break lights. I've checked the wires and all seem fine. The ground at the front of the trailer looks ok. Is there more than one ground that could be causing the issue?

Comment

each light should have its own ground

Comment

Working...
              X