TAPS electric surge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TAPS electric surge

I have a 2002 20V with Perfect Pass. When I adjust the TAPS at idle speed, the electric surges and the Perfect Pass shuts off and resets itself.

When I adjust the TAPS at cruising speed it is better but the electric still surges sometimes.

It almost feels like a bad ground but I can't find anything. Any suggestions.

Thanks,

Tom
    Tom

Wow man thats a great question. I have a 2000 21i over here in australia and mine does the exact same thing. I thought it was just low batteries but i just installed 2 new ones and it still does it. So i,m buggered if i know.

Comment

It is the LENCO trim tab electric motor (TAPs)that is causing the surge or decrease in voltage. I have a 2004 20V Switch and the same is going on with mine. I thought it was a battery too. When idling or at higher RPMs the alternator is outputting 13.5-14.2 VDC and less the voltage drop when TAPs is used.
      To check your TAPs current draw, use a clamp Amp meter and put it around one of the wires from the TAPs (Only one wire, black or white). The current or Amp reading will most likely spike only at the depression of the TAPs switch. The Amp reading will then level off with the switch still depressed.
      If the TAPs system starts blowing breakers/fuses then replacement is required.

Comment

Working...
      X