No start neutral switch or ignition switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No start neutral switch or ignition switch

My 2018 r23 has been randomly not starting. Started on the trailer yesterday went to the dock. Then no start. I was able to get it to start after waiting and keep trying the ignition. It will usually do it again. But a lot of guys here say the neutral switch goes bad. At one point I stuck my hand behind the dash and messed with the wires on the back of the ignition. It seemed to work the rest of the day after that. My only solution here is take my test tools and see if the ignition switch is flaking on me. It is hard to trouble shoot when I have a boat full of kids. Currently not much to go in but if you have had the same symptoms let me know. I really am leaning towards ignition switch but I need to rule that out and jump the plug at the transmission and see if it could be the neutral switch.

The 2018's don't have the neutral safety at the transmission, I believe it's in the shifter assembly since they're all digital throttle and shift.
    Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Comment

I was told to jump the pins on the engine side. I think I may have some Delphi connectors I can make a jumper and take see what happens. Is there a fix other than replacing the entire shifter?

Comment

Correct, but are the wires leading somewhere or connected together?

Comment

Those wires run up to the plug behind the shifter. I spoke with a guy on Tuesday his R21 would kill starters since the water would run down off the engine hatch. Mine is protected good. I installed my original starter to eliminate that. So I think at this point I am going to make a jumper for the neutral safety and take my power probe along next time. I was thinking the ignition switch could be bad maybe? Are the chances higher that it is the neutral safety switch?

Comment

Comment

Perfect. Use a delphi connector with the contacts looped back and it will send signal to the starter every time. Connect on the engine side wire harness.

Comment

Have you ever taken one of these shift/ throttle assemblies apart? I wonder what fails

Comment

I jumped the neutral Safety and I am happy to report no issues when we weee boating today. I am going to email Livorsi and see if there is a fix.

Comment

Working...
                    X