Throttle position readings 24ve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throttle position readings 24ve

2006 24ve Had the boat 3yrs. Doesn't look like the pink wire jump has been done.
    Went into limp mode first time out this year. 45 minutes on water went to accelerate, limp mode, then limped back to ramp. No alarms. Gauges all reading normal. Batteries tested fine. Alternator is charging normal. Not under surfing load just cruising approx 15mph. Restarted at ramp and powered normal. Couldn't replicate on fake-a-lake in driveway. I turned every accessory on, adjusted TAPS while accelerating and did fine.
    Measured at the throttle position sensor, white wire and black wire- 5v. Blue wire and black wire 1v(idle) - 4.3v(full throttle). Green wire and orange wire 0.9v(idle) - 3.8v(full throttle). Smooth and even increases in voltage from idle to full throttle.
    Do those measurements mean TPS is bad/needs adjusting?
    I already ordered TPS just to have on hand, seems only a matter of time. I don't have a scanner but from reading the endless number of posts on this topic this seems to be the place to start.

It's been a while since I've done this repair. There's a handful of write ups around here on it. Having potentiometer at handle adjusted to 1.0 is pretty critical when dealing with this on customer boats in the past.

Comment

I also had a intermittent limp mode issue. Checked my potentiometer at the handle and it seemed fine according to the marine power manual. Replaced it and recalibrated the new one and have yet to have the issue again. Something was intermittently happening where I was also unable to replicate it, but just swapping the part solved the issue completely.

I could run the boat up to speed but when I would shift into neutral it created a dead pedal limp mode situation where I had to restart the boat to clear the limp and then continue on my way.

Comment

Thanks for your replies. New sensor arrived and I'll tackle this asap. Looks pretty straight forward.

Comment

Well I tackled this and for anyone who pulls this thread up in a search, unless I messed something up without knowing, this was rather easy. The most difficult part was getting the old sensor off the metal arm that attaches to throttle. Using two butter knives worked well. I put the sensor in and the voltage reading was right on money. Little to no adjusting. It was not a bad repair at all. Have had boat running in drive way multiple times and on lake three times(tubing, surfing, wakeboarding, cruising) no issues.

Comment

Working...
          X