Taps 2 repair. My gauge now works!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taps 2 repair. My gauge now works!

So, I have been dreading this repair for about 6 months. I have read so many folks who have never figured this out or had issues getting the entire system to work again. Well, I finally undertook this over the last week, and I got it all to work again. Here is a quick overview and I also edited the wiring schematic to match my TAPS 2 system. I have a 2013 R20 that the gauged stopped working but the actuator still went up and down. From all my early testing I knew it was the actuator or the trim tab module. I bought a gauge as they are in short supply just in case. I do have the full TAPS 2 guide used for training TIGE mechanics but it's over the size limit so if you want it, I can provide it by email unless someone knows how I can post it here.

So, I tested the green wires before the TAPS Trim Module never could quiet figure out the 240 OHMS thing. But what you need to do is set you multimeter to OHMS 2k if there is setting choices. Then cut the green wires before the trim tab module and test them with the multimeter on the 2k setting. You are supposed to get 240-260k according to Bennett. I got nothing. So, I replaced the actuator and at first, I did not want to run the new wire all the way through the boat, so I cut off the old actuator and wired up the new one to see if I did not have to run the new wire. I still got nothing, so the wires were bad somewhere. So, I had to run the new wires up the starboard side of the boat. I tested them once I got them up and I got the 240 OHMS. I wired them up and tested the wire connections before the trim tab module still at 240.

So, I tried the system still no gauge movement. I replaced the trim tab module after checking for power at the trim tab pin. I had power and 240 OHMS. I put on the new trim tab module, said a prayer, turned on the boat and it was not working!!! I was thinking here we go I am never going to fix this and there is going to be some wiring issue I cannot find as I am over my head already. I tested the gauge for power, and it was good.

I was just about to have a drink and let out a few swear words when I grabbed the new gauge and pulled off the pin from the gauge at the dash. I though oh well let's see if this last desperate effort fixes this nightmare. Plugged in the gauge and reach up and turned the key. Oh my god the gauge moved. I reached up and pushed on the toggle switch and sure enough if moved and it was working correctly. I wired it all up and changed the gauge. I also checked the old Trim Tab Module, and it still did not work. Put back on the new one and tested the entire system multiple times and zipped tied everything in place. I put the actuator on with 3M 520 to plug the holes and repair is now done. I had to replace the actuator, trim tab module and the gauge to get mine to work. Not a very cheap repair with parts being near $600 for all three. But its fixed hope this helps some folks with the same issue. Again, I do have the TIGE help manual if anyone wants it.
    Attached Files

Hey I’m actually having trouble with my taps 2 system do you still have that manual and are willing to share it? I’m trying to diagnose the electrical I have confirmed that the Bennett hpu is good so it has to be something electrical

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Does you gauge not move at all but plate does?
      or are you getting no movement when using the switch at the handle??

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post
        Does you gauge not move at all but plate does?
        or are you getting no movement when using the switch at the handle??
        The gauge on my touch screen will move when I click the switch on the throttle but it always goes back to 3. The plate doesn’t move and the pump doesn’t run. I took the pump out and tested it and it does work. So I’m trying to figure out why it doesn’t seem to be getting power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I responded to your other post....but in that one you say you have a 2015 RZR. If my memory serves me correct 2015 was a Lenco actuator not a Bennett. Could you take a picture of your actuator??

Comment

Your post is very helpful. I would like a copy of that full TAPS 2 guide if possible, perhaps by email?. I have a 2012 Z3 and the TAPS plate works fine, but the gauge and TAPS reading on the Tige Touch do not register any change. Always at bottom of gauge. So I'm thinking that there is no resistance getting through to the gauge or Tige Touch. Is there no way to test the resistance at the back of the gauge without cutting the green wires from the actuator? I suppose if there is no resistance at the back of the gauge, then I will have to cut them at the transom to see if the actuator is sending the resistance or not. Also, in your diagram are the trim tab module and TAPS relay the same box or different things?

Comment

Wow this is a great post. Glad I found it. Hopefully I can get a copy of the manual. Is it posted on the internet somewhere?

Comment

Working...
              X