Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speed set reset

Hey guys,

Hoping maybe IDBoating or KoolAid has a thought - I have been trying to decide if I have a bad speed set because I thought it would “randomly” reset the speed to zero (it will finish the pass but you have to fix it before you take off again). Even have the replacement process worked out with ID...

I’ve finally figured out that it does this when I change the taps (trim) while the cruise is on. What on earth would cause this? Bad ground maybe? Or is it definitely the speed set panel needing to be replaced? Should I be looking somewhere else?

Thanks for the thoughts guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There shouldn't be any interaction between the TAPS plate control and the SpeedSet touchpad. If this is repeatable, I agree it's likely a flaky ground or other electrical problem, perhaps in the harness behind the helm. I don't know if the TAPS switch controls a relay, or if it switches the TAPS pump current directly, but especially in the latter case that could involve enough amperage that a poor connection could see a significant voltage drop across it, leading to a misinterpretation of the signals coming from the SpeedSet touchpad.

Do all three buttons on your SpeedSet touchpad work while sitting still, or at cruise speed, and not adjusting TAPS? If all three do work, the problem is not the touchpad. One or more buttons not working is the most common failure and it's not usually intermittent. If the buttons are working, start looking for a connection problem. Corroded contacts, loose connection, nicked wire, etc.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Originally posted by IDBoating View Post
      There shouldn't be any interaction between the TAPS plate control and the SpeedSet touchpad. If this is repeatable, I agree it's likely a flaky ground or other electrical problem, perhaps in the harness behind the helm. I don't know if the TAPS switch controls a relay, or if it switches the TAPS pump current directly, but especially in the latter case that could involve enough amperage that a poor connection could see a significant voltage drop across it, leading to a misinterpretation of the signals coming from the SpeedSet touchpad.

Do all three buttons on your SpeedSet touchpad work while sitting still, or at cruise speed, and not adjusting TAPS? If all three do work, the problem is not the touchpad. One or more buttons not working is the most common failure and it's not usually intermittent. If the buttons are working, start looking for a connection problem. Corroded contacts, loose connection, nicked wire, etc.

Hope this helps!
      Yah, the speed set buttons all work fine. The only symptom is the reset of the speed. It’s weird.

I’ll look around. And see. It’s odd that wiring from the throttle would go anywhere near that panel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
      X