Dual Battery Charging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual Battery Charging

I have a 2007 24ve with dual batteries and an ACR. My question is can I put a charger to the center post of the ACR and it charge both batteries or is this a bid idea and will damage something? I have been wondering this for many years while the boat is stored over the winter.
    Wake Up or Stay On Shore!

The ideal solution is a dual bank marine on-board charger. What model ACR do you have? Most only have 2 main posts, so a center post really does not exist. Most are bi-directional, so charge level voltage on either side will close the ACR, combining the banks. But not all. If the charger operates within a safe 12V system range, then it should not damage any of the components, as long as your connection point normally sees alternator or battery voltage.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Chp is MUCH MUCH smarter than me when it comes to the acr switches but can say that on all of my last 3 tiges and my supra that had the 1/2/off switches I used a promariner prosport 20 2 bank and ran to each battery. they can be had in the $125 range and so far 4 of them have performed flawlessly. here in vegas I haven't ever removed a battery.
      2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
      2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

Get a promariner prosport. worth the investment.

Comment

I will have to check it out for the model. It is the one that came in the boat. I thought it had three. One from the alternator in the center and one to each battery. I will have to check that out. I have always wondered if this would work without buying a dual bank on board charger. If not is there a dual bank charger that you would recommend? It is a PITA while the boat is covered and in storage to access it easily.
          Wake Up or Stay On Shore!

Comment

I got it know, your boat has the diode type isolator, which differs from an auto combining relay. So yes, you can connect the charger's B+ clamp to the center alternator post, charger's B- clamp to one of the battery NEG posts, and it will charge both banks same as the alternator would.
            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Working...
            X