Taps 2 gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taps 2 gauge

Having trouble with taps2 gauge, stays pegged at 8 , power on or off, how do you troubleshoot whether it is the sensor in the hydraulic actuator, the gauge, or the module under the dash, occasionally the gauge will briefly go back halfway on power up then peg again, trim plate functions normally.

If its a Bennett hydraulic and not a Lenco electric retract the plate, the unscrew body from top cap and see if the copper windings on the center are all jacked up. Or you can ohm it out at the green sender wires....cant remeber what resistance is supposed to be. Would have to look it up. If you are handy with a meter and want to check resistance I can look up the #

Comment

Thanks, yea its hydraulic, i can probably meter, but got one more weekend planned before winterizing, i may pull body off then to inspect.

Comment

Originally posted by Boardude56 View Post
        Thanks, yea its hydraulic, i can probably meter, but got one more weekend planned before winterizing, i may pull body off then to inspect.
        I'd bet it's a wiring issue. The wires are very very small 26ga probably. Check that they are connected at the back of the gauge.

Comment

In my experience a hard reverse with plate down over extends the actuator because the plate grabs water and then the steel rod pierces/destroys the windings when it retracts as the fluid fills the air void(plate pulls the actuator past full extension and then snaps back up) . Easy to check since you can just disconnect the plate and thread the body of the actuator off. Copper windings are always hammered in my experience. Occasionally its a gauge tho.

Comment

2007 22Ve, my taps 2 gauge went erratic and then pegged at 8 where it is currently frozen. Taps plate continues to work correctly without the gauge. i have not initiated any troubleshooting as of yet. Did you determine gauge or sender?

Comment

Bueller

Trim plate works, guage stuck at 8.

Trim coil resistance good at 248ohms ALL the way up to the trim tab module (trim input A and B).

Disconnect trim tab module, analogue guage defaults to 1...trim plate still works, guage stuck at 1.

Reconnect taps module, guage goes back to 8.

Guessing the module is bad.

Any ideas?

Comment

Whats the voltage on the signal wore from module to the gauge?? Sounds like it's sending a ground 0.00v to the gauge causing it to peg at 8

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post
                  Whats the voltage on the signal wore from module to the gauge?? Sounds like it's sending a ground 0.00v to the gauge causing it to peg at 8
                  I checked so many damn things, I should have taken better notes.

From what I recall,
                  blue
                  yellow
                  Grey/black
                  White/red

All wires had good continuity from the main board (not the trim tab module) to the guage.

Do you know offhand which colors or pin positions (just so I'm 100% sure next time I head to the boat).

Comment

I dont remember off hand but I'd just look at the back of the gauge. It should have a purple(12v from ignition) blue so it lights at night(powered with Nav light switch on) a black ground, and then whatever other color going to the signal post of the gauge. I'd check the Voltage on that wire, not ohms. If it's 0.00v the module is sending a ground and gauge will always peg

Comment

The 2 sending wires to the back of the taps gauge are 2 very small green wires running from the bennett actuator cylinder to the gauge. The ohms from these wires should be between 220-260ohms. Check this reading and if you are within that range the gauge is bad. If not, it could be a wiring issue between the gauge and the sender, or the sender inside of the actuator is bad.

Comment

Working...
                      X