Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for help maybe made a dumb move and jacked up part of my electrical system.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for help maybe made a dumb move and jacked up part of my electrical system.

2014 Z3 6.0L built in Aug 2013 and I stupidly plugged onboard charger in while battery selector was on 1. Now I have, what appears to be, similar to faint static lines across my touch screen that are only there when the engine is running. Also, the touch functions while running around or stopped after a while start to not work properly although no ghost touches. The 3 buttons outside of the touchscreen always work. Did I possibly fry something or is it just coincidence and my screen is going bad again. Screen is only 2 years old. Also, first time out for the season one amp had red light on. We went over some large waves on first trip out and amp reset. Could all this be related to the amp? Where do I start checking for voltage issues, guessing that’s what it might be. TIA!

A normal operating on-board charger would not harm any electrical components, even with the switch ON.

Solid red amp light means a hard fault. Could be a number of things. Looking up the amp's owners manual can be a good place to start.

Voltage at the battery with engine running.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Thank you Mike. I’ll start with those two suggestions the next time I’m at the boat.

Comment

14v and fluctuating just under with the engine running at the battery. 14.20 fluctuating little lower at alternator. ~12.9V both batteries engine off. Both amps blink ~10 times and then go solid blue on the syn6 and solid green on the syn2.

Comment

looking good
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

What’s weird is when cruising the cranking battery is 14V or less and the house is closer to 15V or just under. Is that normal?

Comment

I’m getting a low voltage warning pop up on the touch screen every now and then. I’ve checked many connections and the starter was a little loose, but it hasn’t helped the situation go away. My touch screen starts to act up when the low voltage warning appears. Today after surfing for a little over an hour the alternator was too hot to keep my hand on, so I’m wondering if this is the issue after it gets warm is when I seem to have issues. I read on MalibuCrew some have had the same issue and it was only stated to have been repaired once by a loose ignition switch harness connection. I’ll check that tomorrow.

Anybody else run into this issue?

Comment

I would keep a multimeter on board for when the low voltage warning occurs. Then check voltage at batteries and then alternator B+ post when its happening. Also...pull both the red rubber boot and black ground boot(if equipped) off of alternator connections. Seen where the ring terminal breaks and has intermittent connection and you can't see it until you get the rubber covers out of the way(or just tug on the wires and you'll find out real quick)

ALSO, check to see if you have the Marine Pro Isolator behind your batteries(big grey box mounted to transom). These units weren't the most reliable and can cause charging issues
                Last edited by freeheel4life; 08-07-2020, 03:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post
                  I would keep a multimeter on board for when the low voltage warning occurs. Then check voltage at batteries and then alternator B+ post when its happening. Also...pull both the red rubber boot and black ground boot(if equipped) off of alternator connections. Seen where the ring terminal breaks and has intermittent connection and you can't see it until you get the rubber covers out of the way(or just tug on the wires and you'll find out real quick)

ALSO, check to see if you have the Marine Pro Isolator behind your batteries(big grey box mounted to transom). These units weren't the most reliable and can cause charging issues
                  Freeheel4life - thank you for the heads up. I did tug on the alternator cables and pushed on them, but didn’t remove the rubber piece. When I did that it ran fine for a little while and then started acting up again. I’ll definitely be checking that again. Also, I do have the Pro Mariner box mounted to the transom and wondered if that could be the issue as well. Just wasn’t sure how to go about checking it. Is there anything to check specifically within the box to confirm good or bad? I greatly appreciate your help with this!!

Comment

IIRC correctly tige changed factory harness and instead of alternator being wired to starter B+ post the wire runs straight from the alternator to the common post of the pro isolator.

When this issue is occurring meter at alternator post. Should be 13.2-14.6. Then meter at common post of isolator. Should be the same(withing .1-.2v) Then meter both posts 1 and post 2 on the isolator. One of them is likely less voltage than your previous readings and thats your culprit. Never taken one apart but Im fairly certain there's some relays inside the box that fail.

Comment

Working...
                    X