R21 won’t start-intermittent problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R21 won’t start-intermittent problem

We are having a starting issue with my 2017 R21. About 1 of 50 times it will refuse to start. I get no beeps when key is turned. All other electrical works fine, however and motor starts fine once motor turns over. Obviously the Boat was in neutral and the emergency switch/lanyard was checked and ruled out each time. Any ideas of what should be fixed on this would be appreciated, especially if you have seen this before. Thanks!

Summer 2019-Previous owner had same issue. Service did not fully resolve the matter but identified that it may be the main wiring harness.

Oct 9, 2019-Stopped boat to fill ballasts. Turned boat off for 15 min. Would not start until mechanic suggested on the phone that separating and re-attaching main wiring harness. Then boat beeped twice and started right up.

May 24, 2020-After boat sat for 2 hours for kids to swim, the boat did not start. Finally started by “squeezing” harness while turning key (after more than an hour of trying to figure it out.)

June 6, 2020-After boat sat for 1 hr to swim boat would not start. Towed it back to lift. Nothing I tried previously worked. The boat started fine the next morning!

Do you have a multimeter and are savvy on its use?? Going to need to start there.

Comment

First thing I'd test is the key switch. It may not be making good contact in the start position.
      But I agree without a multimeter and the ability to use it you're at a hard stop lol

Comment

I’m having the same issue with my 2018 RZX. I’ll need to check the wiring harness. Is it under the helm? Mine will has always started after turning the key back and forth a few times but very annoying. Happens maybe 1 in 50 times also.

Comment

Any updates? I'm having the same problem. I will turn the key to start and nothing happens until I try multiple times then the motor starts.

Comment

I am having a similar problem with a 2014 Tige rzr. It initially was an intermittent problem but now it’s permanent. The boat will not start or turnover at all. Have not checked the main wiring harness. Starter switch and starter have been replaced. We tried to replace the neutral safety switch and apparently it is built into the transmission harness. Interesting thing is the electrical system comes on and once it boots up the boat depth gauge registers zero on the side main control panel and the center gauges initially fire up but then go blank in the middle Consol. Anybody experienced this problem? Probably will end up sending it back to the dealer. Does anybody know anything about rebooting the software or updating the Viper as a possible solution?

Comment

Hello everyone, did anyone have any luck with this style issue? I have replace 3 ignition switches and a starter and still having an issue starting. Mine will start fine when its convenient, but put me in a situation where we are out on the water and I need it to and it always fails. Luckly I have been able to cycle the key back and forth a bunch of times and it will start but its start to happen more frequent.

Comment

Had the same problem with my 2015 Z3. I had to replace the throttle assembly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Happy Sunday! I have dug through the forums and can’t find a good answer to replacing my 2008 RV2 throttle shifter, the teeth have worn out and Tige doesn’t offer a solution

Comment

Any other solutions to this problem? My 2017 RZX3 is having the same symptoms. Did any others also replace the throttle assembly?

Comment

My throttle assembly is giving me problems. Sometimes I can giggle it and get it to connect. It’s becoming annoying

Comment

Get your throttle replaced before you get stranded on the lake. Happen to me and ruined a weekend.

Comment

My boat is doing everything mentioned above. I had to order a Delphi kit. I am going to make a jumper at the transmission to take the shifter out of the equation. I have another post going about mine.

Comment

Comment

I emailed Fred at Livorsi. He said send him the serial number on the unit. He will set you up in the system. Then Issue the RMA# to send it in for an evaluation. Then repair is 2-3 weeks. So this is a winter time project.

Comment

Working...
                              X