Capacitor on the Fuel Gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Capacitor on the Fuel Gauge

First off, I'm new here, and this is my first boat, so treat me like the grasshopper I am.

2005 24V - Third owner. The fuel gauge wasn't working and I spent a good 3 hours ripping apart the boat tracing wires and making my wife hold multi-meter leads to random spots.

Finally, I found the one little issue that was throwing off the voltage to the meter. I have a 22,000uF 35WV capacitor jumping my hot and ground pins on the gauge. Do I need that? Is my busted? I just removed it and tested the gauge without starting the engine and it worked perfect, but now I'm nervous that I need something there. Do I need a capacitor to even out the voltage? No other gauge has one, and they all seem to work fine. Was this just a screwed up attempt by a previous owner to jimmy rig something, or am I just oblivious to the danger I'm in now that I don't have that connected?

Thanks in advance!IMG_20200526_200930.jpg

My initial thought is its to filter the voltage and slow the gauge response.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Working...
    X