Depth finder 08 22VE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depth finder 08 22VE

My depth finder sometimes goes to 997. It normally reads correctly for the first hour or 2 each day. The other day I was idling through an area I know the depth to be between 4 and 7 feet. The depth read correctly while idling, but went to 997 when any throttle was applied, return to idle- back to correct depth. Any suggestions on where to look to correct?

Mine does the same thing. Any suggestions?

Comment

I'm not sure this is a problem. I believe this is because the depth finder uses sound waves to measure depth, and if you are moving too fast it cant accurately send and receive the signal in time to report depth correctly (and so just shows a default code). I have to be basically stopped or at idle to get a correct reading in my 2007. And this is the same in a 1995 and 2003 of other brands. Someone told me once the newer boats have forward firing depth gauges that work at higher speeds. *shrug*

Full disclosure: I'm probably talking out of my rear end, but these are my observations none the less. My depth gauge does the exact same thing.

Comment

Speed does play a factor in it. The newer units seem to be a lot more accurate. Does the water temp go crazy when it shows 997? if so its a wiring issue or faulty triducer.
        Oh Yeah!

Comment

"997" indicates an error from the depth sensor in the AirMar triducer. Most likely caused by turbulence, a bubble trapped under the puck, etc. Speed will definitely cause turbulence, this is one of the key reasons why it is important to NOT install ballast thruhulls "in front" of the triducer. You want a nice smooth hull surface as far forward as possible to preserve laminar flow across the triducer.

I wish we could convince boat companies to install triducers in locations that both minimize turbulence AND leave more flexibility for ballast thruhull locations, but no such luck. I swear sometimes it feels they pick that spot to be maximally inconvenient and render the maximum hull surface area off-limits for other things. Speaking of swearing, I've uttered my share of choice words directed at boat manufacturers when trying to find places to bore holes in hulls....

Comment

Well, depth now shows 997.4 all the time.

Comment

I just read through all the comments again, and see I have not answered some questions. Koolaid, temperature is consistent and reasonably accurate. ID Boating, It worked fine for 10 years at all speeds, so something changed.

So, is it a faulty triducer or should I be looking at something else?

Comment

Working...
              X