No power to ignition switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No power to ignition switch

Took the boat out today and had an issue. Just put in a new battery and put the boat over. Cranked right up but then when to pull away from the ramp and she cut out. Put it in neutral and tried to restart but had nothing. Tried jumping the starter with a screw driver and the motor would turn over fast but would not start. Also the blower and bilge would work. Just nothing from the ignition switch. The hot wire going to the switch was not hot.

Someone help me figure out where to look.

Thanks alot.

Double check to make sure it's actually in natural as well as the safety kill switch.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Definitely made sure it was in neutral. Where is the saftey kill switch? It is a 2000 21V. Still fairly new to me.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by rustydust View Post
        Definitely made sure it was in neutral. Where is the saftey kill switch? It is a 2000 21V. Still fairly new to me.

Thanks
        May not have one on that year model, but it would be down around the throttle area.
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Yeah I didn't think it had one. I guess I will take a voltmeter and start poking around.

Comment

Make sure all your battery connections are correct and not crossed. If you cross one, you will blow the 90 amp fuse that the main + lead is attached to at the starter (ask how we know about this). Start there as when it blows, you get nothing. Check continuity across. You will be standing on your head while checking unless you are small and limber.

Comment

You were exactly right!! I took the 90 Amp fuse on the starter off and found that the contacts had been corroded and broke. Hard wired it and she cranked right up! Ordered a new one and I will be on the water next weekend thanks a lot!

Comment

Another issue I found a couple summers ago: it turned out that the neutral safety switch leads were loose on the switch itself. It is located on the transmission with 2 little screws and 2 wires going to it. Just had to make sure those connections were tight and off she went.

Comment

Working...
                X