starting issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

starting issues

i own a 2001 22i type r. its been a great boat for a while now. lately we've been having trouble starting it each time we take it out. the starter solenoid clicks and engages with a turn of the key but it does not crank the boat. it usually takes several tries and then all of a sudden vroom it starts no problem for the rest of the day. i was curious to know if there is a safety switch on the throttle lever or some sort of electrical problem that i'm completely missing. this is not a huge problem but it tends to get quite annoying on such a great boat. please let me know A.S.A.P. if anyone has input on my problem. thanks in advance for any knowledge given.

Time for a new starter. There may be rebuild kit for it, that would be much cheaper. Next time it happens hold the key in the crank position and have someone tap on the starter with a hammer. If it cranks, the starter is bad.

Just to be on the safe side make sure your battery is good, but the fact that it does start after acouple of trys means your batt is most likley good.
    Last edited by GIZMO; 05-01-2005, 05:06 PM.
    "I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer."

Comment

Check your battery connections and make sure they are clean and making good contact. I would not think that a starter would go out in four years. You might also check the connections at the starter. The tapping the starter with a hammer suggetion by Gizmo is also a good thing to try. If the starter has a bad spot on the armature, the tapping suggestion should make it show up.

Comment

My previous boat, a '01 21v did the same thing last year. Dealer put in new starter, problem fixed! So, unfortunately, yes a starter can go bad in only 4 years. Boat had about 120 hours.

Comment

better start pricing a new starter. moisture and lack of use will shorten the life of a starter dramatically.
          Greg Denton
          former service mgr. Tige Watersports July 95-July 05

Comment

You can probably have your starter rebuilt at a local starter/alternator shop for around $75.00.

Farmicist, You need to get out on the water more often.

Comment

make sure they understand that it is for marine application when rebuilding it.
              Greg Denton
              former service mgr. Tige Watersports July 95-July 05

Comment

Farmicist, You need to get out on the water more often. [/B][/QUOTE]

Could not agree with you more!!!

Comment

ghollow, could you call my wife and tell her the same thing? sometimes she could use convincing!!!

Comment

Hey Beau, give me the phone number and I will call her.
                    Which lake are you on most of the time? We spend most of our time on Lake Leon.

Comment

usually lake proctor (3 mi from house) also spend time on PK, have been on Eagle Pass, Lake Worth, and L. Lewisville. Lake Whitney (fishing only) also looks promising this summer!

Comment

I have spent a great deal of time on PK, but I have not been there in several years. We are scheduled to go there in June. I have also spent alot of time on Lewisville ( I live less than a mile from it) but it is usually with my brother and his boat ( Crownline). We have a cabin on Leon and spend most of our time there.

Comment

thank you all

hey i just wanted to say i really appreciate all the great advice. its been acting well lately since i've been taking it out more but just recently started doing it again. i thought i was stranded on the lake last night to be honest. then bang starts up randomly. i'm going to give everything you guys said a try i agree though sounds like lack of water time and starter problems. anyway thanks again. the lack of water issue has since been fixed i've been riding about every other day lately.

Comment

I think I may be having a similar issue as this. Sometimes, usually first thing in the morning, I turn the key and it goes "whurrrrr", but then nothing. Then all of the sudden it'll start fine and then work without a problem the rest of the day. The only thing I could figure is that I use the DC power point next to the ignition to vacuum the boat at night before putting it away. It seems that it happens after that. (Although it could just be coincidence) Is it a starter? Any ideas? (It's a 2003 22V with about 280 hours on it.)

Mike

Comment

Working...
                            X