Switch Panel Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switch Panel Problem

Anybody ever had a problem with one of these?

Mine started having a problem last year. Would work intermitantly. Sometimes all the red lights would just flash. Now it won't work at all. I've taken the whole panel out and played around with it to see it there's a short in the wiring somewhere, but no luck. I did get it to work for about 5 seconds twice.

I would just go buy a new one, but I'm sure it's expensive and I want to be postitive of the problem.

Any help would be appreciated (I'm quite flustrated with it right now)

Must be a 2001, we had to change all of ours out to a different design. Might want to check with your dealer and see if they will still replace the part.

Comment

Yes, it's a 2001 23V.

I'll call my dealer and see what they say. I'm not sure they are going to be familar with my problem since they didn't pick up the Tige' line until 2003.

Do you have a replacement part # perhaps?

Comment

No, I do not remimber the part number just having to change out the switches.

Comment

RZMike, is there a EMI relay box that those switches connect to? That is more than likely the problem if there is....The bad new is, they don't make replacements anymore and you will probably have to convert to the new style toggles. I went through all this 2 weeks ago. The switch conversion is $300, or you can make your own like I did. I'll try to post some pics. Let me know if you need any help.

Comment

thats pretty impresive that you made your own. i'd really like to see it. i almost think with all the work retro fitting in the factory one it just might be easier to build your own. lets see the end product.
            Greg Denton
            former service mgr. Tige Watersports July 95-July 05

Comment

Lee, what is a remimber
              If life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life, then let's all get wasted together and have the time of our lives.

Comment

What I need to do to your list.

Comment

Just remember that I gave you good marks on the Tige list when your reviewing my list
                  If life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life, then let's all get wasted together and have the time of our lives.

Comment

Originally posted by hanzj
                    RZMike, is there a EMI relay box that those switches connect to? That is more than likely the problem if there is....The bad new is, they don't make replacements anymore and you will probably have to convert to the new style toggles. I went through all this 2 weeks ago. The switch conversion is $300, or you can make your own like I did. I'll try to post some pics. Let me know if you need any help.
                    Yep, mine's got one of those EMI boxes. I tried to find the company on the internet. I guess they went out of buisness?

I was afraid I would have to convert to toggle switches. This is going to suck. Especially coming up with a contoured blank panel to mount the switches in.

Any help (pictures, parts, suppliers) would be appreciated.

Comment

Hopefully this will be understandable.

I bought everything at boaters world and it was only $85 or so.

Your relay will be replaced with a fused distribution block.

Hopefully this link works:
                      http://www.boatersworld.com/webapp/w...0029%3Bc342267

If not go to boatersworld.com and search for Blue Seas - Fuse Block Ato 12 Circuit With Ground

Then just buy toggles of your choice...there are about a hundred different styles. Buy the 3-blade ones though (Power, Ground, Accessory)

I ran a new power and ground directly from my battery and connected them to the distribution block (8ga shown below in yellow and red)

Then ran smaller wires (14ga) from the distribution block to the according + and - blades on all of the switches.

I had to test all of my accessories to make sure which was which (because they weren't all labeled) and then ran them to the according toggles. (that I labeled with labels also bought from boaters world for $1 a piece)

For the actual switch panel, I used "marine lumber". It is basically white plastic and is very easy to work with. Mine wasn't contoured so I just placed the old one on top and traced around it. Then sawed it and sanded the corners. You might try heating it with a small torch so you can bend it.

Believe it or not, I actually did all this one evening after work.

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Hanz
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by hanzj; 04-30-2005, 12:18 AM.

Comment

battery shot...yellow and red 8ga wires go to new distro block
                        Attached Files

Comment

closeup
                          Attached Files

Comment

WOW, That looks great. Awsome job. Thanks for the instructions and links. Don't worry, I had no problem understanding it.

The jury's still out on what I'm going to do. I took the whole contraption (panel, black box, terminal strip) out this evening. Put all the components on my desk and hooked it up to a battery. I got it working again. It appears the problem is in the ribbon cable where it goes into the black box. The box is filled with a epoxy or sealant, but it's soft so I'm trying to cut it away in hopes I can repair the connection. I doubt I'll be successful, but I figure it's worth a shot - Nothing to lose anyway

Comment

before emi went belly up they told us how to reset the system. unplug the switch assembly from the brain, uplug the power from the brain. wait a few minutes then plug it all back in. sometimes this would work, other times it wouldn't.
                              Greg Denton
                              former service mgr. Tige Watersports July 95-July 05

Comment

Working...
                              X