Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I have to disconnect battery to charge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I seriously doubt that your batteries are dropping below the "discharged" level in the time duration of a month. Unless you are leaving something turned on that is draining the batteries. If that were the case you would not be able to start the engine at all.

Starting once a month and letting the engine run for 15 minutes is enough to keep the batteries in excellent condition. Remember that the alternator can produce 60 amps, with at least 50 of those amps going into the batteries if necessary.

I still like an 6-10 amp charger with automatic circuitry to drop into a maintenance mode. I have one permanently installed in my boat. It will charge two battery banks independantly and keep them at the top charge level. For little more than the cost of a good marine battery, it seems to be a good investment.

I also have a 115v squirrel cage blower installed in the storage compartment. It constantly circulates air in the boat when it is under the cover. It is plugged in the same time as the battery charger.

Also remember that marine batteries have better internal bracing and better support of the electrolitic paste to protect the battery from the shock of pounding the waves. This makes the battery last longer. Do not try and use a regular car battery as they will not last nearly as long as a marine battery.
    Ray Thompson
    2005 22V

Comment

Working...
    X