Solar Battery Charger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solar Battery Charger?

Anyone use a solar battery charger? Any Opinions?

The houseboat on Powell that I went on last fall had them and they worked great for that application.

Comment

Originally posted by ajholt7 View Post
      Anyone use a solar battery charger? Any Opinions?
      It depends on the output. Check how many amps it will generate.
      Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Originally posted by dogbert View Post
        It depends on the output. Check how many amps it will generate.
        I realize that, I was just looking for experiences with them. Do they last? Just any opinion from people who have used them.

Comment

I'm thinking about getting one for my "non daily driver". I'll have to leave it on the driveway this winter. Has anyone used a solar battery charger? If so, which one? Did you get good results?

Comment

I keep a 5 watt Brunton, I think that is how it is spelled, hooked up to my truck. It doesn't get driven much and without the charger the alarm drains the battery. Since I started using the charger I haven't had a dead battery. Best part about it is that you just set it on the dash and plug it into the cigarette lighter and it back feeds to the batteries. Oh and I have a diesel with two batteries.

Comment

Just bought one that goes inside the front windshield for our van that sits. Works great so far. Now I am in Florida so get a bit more sunshine than some of you folks.

Comment

I ordered one of these yesterday http://www.walmart.com/ip/Wagan-Sola...arger/14521537

It seems to be better built then the sunforce chargers. I guess if it doesn't work, I'm only out $25.

Comment

I kept one on our sailboat. The panel was about 4" x 10" and it was enough to keep the battery topped up. It was a $20 cheapo one that I just left out on the cockpit seat all the time.

If you get a larger one (15 or more watts) you will need a controller so it does not overcharge the battery.
                  The luck is gone, the brain is shot, but the liquor we still got.

Comment

Working...
                  X