No announcement yet.

Cheap alluminum wire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aluminum also work hardens and will fatigue faster in a high vibration environment (such as boat). Sure you can handle lots of those issues with proper wire management, but can you really tie down the wiring everywhere to AYBC standards? It is a poor conductor of heat and has higher resistance (vs. copper) . I personally do not really enjoy running wires sand chasing electrical gremlins so I would never save a small amount of money for larger headaches later. I buy tinned copper stranded wire for everything I can in a boat.

Comment

I have that same wire and it works great
      Everything happens for a reason
      I live my post whore life 30 seconds at a time

Comment

Originally posted by mneal View Post
        Aluminum also work hardens and will fatigue faster in a high vibration environment (such as boat). Sure you can handle lots of those issues with proper wire management, but can you really tie down the wiring everywhere to AYBC standards? It is a poor conductor of heat and has higher resistance (vs. copper) . I personally do not really enjoy running wires sand chasing electrical gremlins so I would never save a small amount of money for larger headaches later. I buy tinned copper stranded wire for everything I can in a boat.
        Well stated....
        "I feel sorry for people that don't drink, when they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Comment

I am not going to get into minutae of the argument, but for the record all metals work harden to a degree. Stainless gets REAL hard by the way...

Copper is another metal that hardens a lot. The U.S. mint has to anneal all their material after blanking so they can be worked at the next forming stage. Copper for pennies is annealed for softness same as all the rest. Copper artists are constantly re-heating their work to soften it after working to prevent cracks and fractures.

To say that aluminum work hardens is correct. no argument there, but so does copper. That is the prime reason for stranded rather than solid conductors in dynamic installations, regardless the material.
          It's not an optical illusion.
          It just looks like one.....

Comment

Working...
          X