HU/EQ connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HU/EQ connection

Okay, this is going to be a stupid question but I can not get a true answer out of my stereo installation place so I will pose the question here since I am all for saving a little bit of money and this install should be easy IMO. However, me being totally stereo/electrical illiterate. I have to ask.

From the picture below, how would I run RCA's from the HU to the EQ. I have three (rear, front, and sub) outputs and only one input on the EQ.

Suggestions???????

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files

The EQ appears to replace the fader and subwoofer control that exists in the radio. That is why you have rear and subwoofer outputs on the radio.

Take the front output from the radio and plug it into the EQ. From there, the EQ has fader and subwoofer control capabilities, so you still have that control.

That is the only connection necessary between the H/U and the EQ.

Simple enough explanation?
    Last edited by philwsailz; 08-04-2008, 01:32 PM.
    It's not an optical illusion.
    It just looks like one.....

Comment

So, I still run my bass from the HU to the amp?

Comment

I was hoping to have all my outputs from the HU go into the EQ.. If that isn't the case (as you can see) I guess I will return it and get something else. The XEQ has two input's. One for front output and one for Sub output from HU.

Comment

Originally posted by da.bell View Post
          So, I still run my bass from the HU to the amp?
          The pic is hard to see for my computer, but it appears that there is a subwoofer output on the EQ. That being the case, you would run from that output to your bass/subwoofer amplifier.

Do yuo have a link to the owner's manual? I would like to read a little on the crossover section for the EQ.

Comment

The KEQ5 appears to be designed to operate like a preamplifier in a component home stereo.

What other difference between the XEQ and the KEQ are readily apparent to you, and what do you desire from a functionality standpoint from the EQ?

Comment

BRB....

Comment

I was hoping to have all my outputs from the HU go into the EQ.. If that isn't the case (as you can see) I guess I will return it and get something else. The XEQ has two input's. One for front output and one for Sub output from HU.
                Why do you want all H/U outputs going to the EQ?

Comment

KEQ PDF: http://www.arcaudio.com/product-pdf/KEQ5.pdf

XEQ PDF: http://www.arcaudio.com/product-pdf/IDX-XEQ.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by philwsailz View Post
                    Why do you want all H/U outputs going to the EQ?
                    I would like to adjust all the bass, mid's, and highs from the EQ only while setting the HU's EQ to 0's (zeros) since it only has 3 band EQ.

The KEQ5 has a 5 band EQ...

Comment

Originally posted by philwsailz View Post
                      The pic is hard to see for my computer, but it appears that there is a subwoofer output on the EQ. That being the case, you would run from that output to your bass/subwoofer amplifier.

Do yuo have a link to the owner's manual? I would like to read a little on the crossover section for the EQ.
                      From what I understand, the front output does not have bass coming out of the output.

Comment

HU PDF: http://inform3.kenwoodusa.com/manuals/kdcx492.pdf

Comment

I would like to adjust all the bass, mid's, and highs from the EQ only while setting the HU's EQ to 0's (zeros) since it only has 3 band EQ.

The KEQ5 has a 5 band EQ...
                          That is what the EQ is designed to do.

From what I understand, the front output does not have bass coming out of the output.
                          Not typical at all... Going to go look at the H/U manual first. 99% or better head units with subwoofer outputs still ahve full range output from front and rear RCA outputs. Picture a 4 channel amplifier system with no sub. In that instance you would want bass out of all four channels.

Comment

yup. On page 7 of the Kenwood manual is the section that talks about control of the hi-pass xrossovers for the front and rear outputs. If you set the HPF and/or HPR to THROUGH it will deliver a full range signal.

Comment

So...

The KEQ5 has a volume control. It has a fader control.

At that point the head unit is just a line level source. YOu have an option of setting the volume of the radio and forgetting it, while only using the volume control and fader control on teh front of the EQ...

Comment

Working...
                              X