Question on new RZ4 setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on new RZ4 setup

On our new RZ4, the dealer will be performing some system mods before we take delivery. As I am pretty clueless about sound systems, I was hoping to get some of you knowledgeable types to tell me if there are any major weaknesses of this setup. We are wanting a good, clean, well-rounded sound - we don't really care about maximum volume.

The setup, as I understand it, will consist of the standard factory Clarion head unit with transom remote and all the rest is WetSounds: six XS-650 speakers; two Pro-80 tower speakers; one XS-12 sub; one SYN2 amp powering the Pro-80's; one SYN6 amp powering the four cabin speakers plus the sub (with the head unit powering the two bow speakers); and a WS-420.

So, does anyone think that there are any significant weak points to this setup (such as severely underpowered components)? Thanks for your help!

amp info

OK, here is the info on the amps (as posted by WetSounds' Tim on another thread):

SYN6.
    4x60 plus 2x155 at 4 ohms
    4x105 plus 2x305 at 2 ohms
    2x200 plus 600x1 at 4 ohms bridged (3-Some!)

High pass on chs 1-4 with high pass or low pass on chs 5&6. So you can run in boats and towers. or in boats and sub or subs. Or all towers. Or towers and sub or a 3-Some. Or whatever you want. This amp can really do it all.

Factory set up is running the XS650 and XS10FA sub on ch 5. (ch 6 is not used)

SYN2
    200x2 at 4 ohms
    350x2 at 2 ohms
    700x1 at 4 ohms

This is running either one pair of two pairs of PRO 60's from the factory. Can run a pair of 60's or two pairs of 60's or pair of 80's or two pairs of 80's or Double Up etc...

Comment

I think you'll me plenty happy. No one really has any experience with the WetSounds amps but if Tim is putting his name on them I'm sure they are the real deal.
      "a what? i can['t] say/spell/pronounce that word..." - wannabewakeboarder
      "the plural of boo is booze."

Comment

You are going to be rocking...

Comment

Originally posted by evil0ne View Post
          I think you'll me plenty happy. No one really has any experience with the WetSounds amps but if Tim is putting his name on them I'm sure they are the real deal.
          x2. Tim's pretty committed to getting the best sounding system on the water. I'd bet some serious $$ that it's going to kick @$$.
          Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

You have gone overboard. YOu said that you just wanted clean power and did not need to be the loudest. You will be far above average in most circles. It will be both very clean and very loud.

I hope you will bring it to the Tigeowners reunion on September 27 at Echo bay!!!!!!!!!!
            Be excellent to one another.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the comments. Mostly I was concerned that maybe running the bow speakers off the head unit or that running a big honkin' 12" sub off 2 ch from the 6 ch amp would sound really unbalanced. From your responses, I'm guessing that won't be a problem.

Yeah, I may have gone a little overboard. I do know that you need sufficient power to make things sound best even at lower volumes, and it seemed that this system would hopefully meet that. I really don't care about being able to blast my music to everyone on the lake, but I wanted enough to make it sound as good as I could to us in/around the boat.

And, yes, I am planning to make it to the Lake Mead reunion. I look forward to meeting the other tigeowners. And maybe I'll even have to enter the stereo contest.

Comment

Dang it, now you are encouraging me to pull my boat to the reunion. Well, at least the gas prices are going down.

Comment

dingleberry,

Sounds like you are on the way for a killer set up. You will love the sound.

I would recommend to have them change one thing. I would not put the front speakers off the head unit. Run them off the 6 ch as well. Put the front pair of chs 1/2 and the back 2 pairs of the other chs 3/4 in 2 ohm stereo. This amp can play 2 ohm all day long. Heat is not an issue. This is also how the 09 come from the factory.

The SYN6 has so much power avaible, it is nuts. So no worries there. In fact, we have had some protos running around with 4 pairs of XS650 and 2 XS12 all of the SYN6. Another one running 4 pairs of XS650 and a XS-XXX woofer. Another on a 3-Some etc...

We only have Dual 4 ohm XS-12 right now. (we have both dual 4 ohm and dual 2 ohm of the XS-10FA but only have the dual 4 of the XS12 right now)

So with the XS12, you will have to run the woofer in parallel or series. So in parallel, it would be 2 ohm. You would use ch 5 or ch 6 for the woofer, giving is 305 watts. Which is good power, but the XS12 can take more etc..Or in series, making it 8 ohm. And bridge the chs 5 and 6. In the end, the amp will produce about the same power at 8 ohm birdged. So you will be a bit more that 300 watts rms. The XS12 is rated at 500 watts rms.

But it sounds like you are looking for more clean and balanced anyway. So that amount of power will be good. Just want to make sure as the best way to get a lot of bass is using the chs 5/6 bridged in a 4ohm load

The XS-XXX is a dual 2 ohm. So in series, you can make it a 4 ohm woofer. The chs 5 and 6 bridged at 4 ohm will produce 600 watts. The XS-XXX in a ported box will pound with 600 watts. It needs 1000 to come alive in a sealed but ported, 600 is good power.

Not sure your thoughts on that but figured I would mention it just in case!!!

The SYN2 is perfect for the PRO 80's so no worries there. It also has enough power to run 2 pairs as it too can play at 2 ohms stereo all day long.

Email me some pics when you get it done.

Tim
                  Wet Sounds

Comment

Working...
                  X