Hooked up my WS-420. Have question....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hooked up my WS-420. Have question....

As the thread title states, I hooked up my WS-420 this w/e and I love it already! After a little gain tweaking on my amps, I think I have my system dialed in pretty close to how I want it. Problem is, my front speakers are now only playing very low frequency and even that is barely audible. Doesn't sound like my tweeters are even firing. All other in boat speakers are fine, including the ones under the helm. I checked all my connections at least 5 times and can't find anything wrong. Has anyone else ever encountered this??

go to your amplifier for the front speakers and check it. You might have accidentally turned the crossover to LO-PASS???

That is one possibility...

Tim from Wetsounds is in here regularly; he might have some insight too.
    It's not an optical illusion.
    It just looks like one.....

Comment

Originally posted by philwsailz View Post
      go to your amplifier for the front speakers and check it. You might have accidentally turned the crossover to LO-PASS???

That is one possibility...

Tim from Wetsounds is in here regularly; he might have some insight too.
      One amp is for all of my in boat speakers, the other is for my towers. All other in boat speakers are fine, thats the wierd thing.

Comment

Check the polarity

Check the polarity of the connections to the speakers. If the speakers are crossed this will diminish the output from the speakers. + to +, - to -. A stupid mistake I have made more than once.
        Ray Thompson
        2005 22V

Comment

Originally posted by raythompson View Post
          Check the polarity of the connections to the speakers. If the speakers are crossed this will diminish the output from the speakers. + to +, - to -. A stupid mistake I have made more than once.
          No doubt. I don't think the speaker wires were ever touched during the install though. Just a LOT of RCA cabling from the EQ to the HU and amps.....

Comment

Originally posted by FacePlant View Post
            One amp is for all of my in boat speakers, the other is for my towers. All other in boat speakers are fine, thats the wierd thing.
            Hmmm.... Somehow you either have the sub output from the radio going through to the input for that amplifier section, or a sub ouput from SOMEWHERE going to that amp section, or the crossover has been engaged.

Which amp is it? If it is a factory stereo, with a KICKER amp, (ZX700.5 or ZX350.4) there are separate crossover controls for what are labelled AMP 1 and AMP2 for each amplifier chassis. It would be possible for part of the amp to be set to HI-PASS only and the other part of the amp to be set at LO-PASS. The amps I describe are not the only ones where this is a possibility; other manufacturers provide for similar flexibility.

Comment

Originally posted by philwsailz View Post
              Hmmm.... Somehow you either have the sub output from the radio going through to the input for that amplifier section, or a sub ouput from SOMEWHERE going to that amp section, or the crossover has been engaged.

Which amp is it? If it is a factory stereo, with a KICKER amp, (ZX700.5 or ZX350.4) there are separate crossover controls for what are labelled AMP 1 and AMP2 for each amplifier chassis. It would be possible for part of the amp to be set to HI-PASS only and the other part of the amp to be set at LO-PASS. The amps I describe are not the only ones where this is a possibility; other manufacturers provide for similar flexibility.
              It has one Kicker amp with the HP/LP you described, and a 2nd Cadence amp for the tower speakers. I will check the high and low pass setting next time I am on the boat, but I am pretty sure I tried adjusting those and got no response from the fronts.

Comment

No doubt.
                Hmmm. Are you saying there is no doubt that have never made a stupid mistake? Hrrrmmmpppph. Now you are starting to sound like my wife.
                Ray Thompson
                2005 22V

Comment

Originally posted by raythompson View Post
                  Hmmm. Are you saying there is no doubt that have never made a stupid mistake? Hrrrmmmpppph. Now you are starting to sound like my wife.
                  Haha, no! I meant, no doubt that your statement about polarity was accurate. That is why I mentioned in the next sentence that the wires had not been touched in this instance....

Comment

Is it a 4 ch amp on the in boats? As you could have two of the chs on HP and 2 of the chs on low pass. Are the front speakers playing off the amp or are they off the head unit?

The 420 is an EQ and does not have crossover functions. So it would seem it would be an amp setting, polarity or as you mentioned a blown tweeter even.

Tim
                    Wet Sounds

Comment

It has one Kicker amp with the HP/LP you described, and a 2nd Cadence amp for the tower speakers. I will check the high and low pass setting next time I am on the boat, but I am pretty sure I tried adjusting those and got no response from the fronts.
                      There are two places for crossover control on the Kicker amp. the knobs on the silver face panel only control the frequency settings. There is another location of control....

On the end-panel where the RCA's go in, (hint hint) there are a couple of slide switches. They are three position switches, and are easily bumped during wiring activities, (such as changing RCA cables). One way is HI-PASS, the center position is OFF and the other way is LO-PASS.

Depending on if you have a subwoofer or not, you either want these switches set to HI-PASS or OFF...

NOT LO-PASS, which will provide the sound you describe...

Let us know...

Comment

Thanks guys, I will definitely look at all suggestions and report back. Tim raises a good question about whether or not the front speakers are even going through the amp, so I will have to trace that. I will also check those slide switches Phil! Thanks again everybody!

Comment

Thanks guys, I will definitely look at all suggestions and report back. Tim raises a good question about whether or not the front speakers are even going through the amp, so I will have to trace that. I will also check those slide switches Phil! Thanks again everybody!
                          Do you have the factory sub and 6 speaker setup? If if it's the factory installed Kicker amp, the bow speakers should be on Amp 1 of the Kicker amp.

PM sent.
                          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Working...
                          X