Amp/speaker question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amp/speaker question

I've got 2pr 6.5 Polk db (cabin) and 1pr Polk db 6x9 (tower). Currently running cabin off of deck which is a new Pioneer w/ 55w x 4. Tower is running off of RF p2002. Bench test figures show 267w. Here's the deal. I could really care less about the tower and would like better sound out of the cabin. Can I run 4 speakers off a 2ch amp and get better sound than just running off the deck and then run all 4 channels from the deck to the 2 6x9s. Convoluted at best, I know, but I figure one of you stereo guys will have some advice.
    You'll get your chance, smart guy.

The rf200.2 is rated at 100wx2 @ 2ohm. If you were to run 2 speakers per chnl, in parallel, the amp would see a 2ohm load and each speaker would split the 100w and net 50w ea.........less then they are receiving now.

I would pick up and inexpensive 4chnl for the cabin and leave the rf on the tower.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Geez, you're no fun.

Thanks chpthrl.

Comment

he probably would be getting marginally better power running the amp in parallel. hopefully the amp would be 100w RMS by two, which is better than the 50w max which the head unit will most likely be, they are usually no better than 20w a channel RMS for a head unit.

so the speakers will be getting 50w RMS rather than 20 or so watts RMS from the head unit..

but i agree, it you have the money to spend, another amp is an attractive option.

Comment

My guess is that the amp would still sound cleaner than the deck. Most H/U don't have great amps in them. The only way you're going to know is to try it. Otherwise, like chpthril said, you may need to get a cheap amp.

For reference, I'm running 4 speakers on in parallel from my 2 channel Kenwood amp. It's rated at 170x2 @4 Ohm and 250x2 @ 2 Ohm. That means I have 125 W going to each channel, which is still more than the speakers can handle. It's pretty loud, but could be louder if I went to something like Wet Sounds 485 like Moki has.

Speaking of which, I finally heard the 485 at last weekend's INT competition down at M2 sports lake. All I gotta say was that the speakers mounted to a bar in the back of a pickup were so loud that the riders could hear them better than what was on the boats. It made for good color commentary and riders often took the bait to go bigger.
          Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Originally posted by tigesinaus View Post
            he probably would be getting marginally better power running the amp in parallel. hopefully the amp would be 100w RMS by two, which is better than the 50w max which the head unit will most likely be, they are usually no better than 20w a channel RMS for a head unit.

so the speakers will be getting 50w RMS rather than 20 or so watts RMS from the head unit..

but i agree, it you have the money to spend, another amp is an attractive option.
            See now that's kind of what I was thinking. I don't have the extra digits to drop on a new amp, I'm just trying to get the best out of what I currently have.

Comment

Originally posted by tigesinaus View Post

Originally posted by NICKYPOO View Post
              See now that's kind of what I was thinking. I don't have the extra digits to drop on a new amp, I'm just trying to get the best out of what I currently have.

In 2ohm mode (2speakers in parallel) the amp will put out 100W+ X 2, but, remember it took 2 drivers to get there, so they will each split that 100W. not get 100W ea.
              Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                In 2ohm mode (2speakers in parallel) the amp will put out 100W+ X 2, but, remember it took 2 drivers to get there, so they will each split that 100W. not get 100W ea.
                I got ya there. I'm just wondering if I'll get better power from the amp as opposed to the deck.

Comment

Originally posted by NICKYPOO View Post
                  I got ya there. I'm just wondering if I'll get better power from the amp as opposed to the deck.
                  It would be marginal at best, and if it were me, Im not sure I would go through the hassle of rewiring everything for such a small improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                    It would be marginal at best, and if it were me, Im not sure I would go through the hassle of rewiring everything for such a small improvement.
                    I hear you cluckin' big chicken. Thanks man.

Comment

I still think a dedicated amplifier has to be better than what's in a H/U these days. They're typically a different class of amp and there is a definite difference in quality. Here's a reasonable explanation for the different AMP classes and why it matters to sound. Probably more than you wanted to know, but if you really want to be a geek, go check out Wikipedia.
                      Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Just stop spending money on diapers and baby food and you have a new amp with 485s! Buy a few washable diapers and a blender

Comment

Originally posted by Moki View Post
                          Just stop spending money on diapers and baby food and you have a new amp with 485s! Buy a few washable diapers and a blender
                          Oh, now that's cold!

Comment

No, you can heat the food in a microwave after you blend it

Comment

Originally posted by Moki View Post
                              Oh, I'm sure the wife will go for that.

Comment

Working...
                              X